to give and receive

The group gathered from the corners of the large yard.  It was time for afternoon tea break and everyone in the workshop was eager for a break from the intense task of checking translations.

Several women had taken on the task of cooking for this group of 35-50 people every day.  The participants would take turns bringing food for the group meals and others brought items such as a hand of bananas, a papaya, some kulau (green coconuts), or nuts.  Each day at tea time, the women would lay out a dish of some sort of food for us at tea time with mugs, hot water, and tea bags.  Some days it was corn cooked in coconut milk, some days it was bananas, some days it was a feast. 

A gift of food -- decorated with local flowers

That particular afternoon, I was shocked into silence by the array of food for our tea break.  Looking at the spread of kulau, bananas, papaya, roasted nuts, rolls, and some sort of odd seafood creature on a stick, I was humbled by the generosity of our hosts. 

It was humbling to be given so much.  To have it be so drastically more than what everyone else had.  I was embarrassed to accept the gift.  When I made a comment to one of my team members she gave me a wonderful reminder.  If I was the host, I would want my guests to have the very best and wouldn't begrudge having less.  It's natural to want to give. 

As I sat in the sticky humidity, eating sweet papaya and drinking a refreshing kulau I realized how important it is to give.  And I realized how important it is to receive.  The receiving part is the one I have the most trouble with.  However, by graciously accepting the gift, I was able to give them a gift back.  That of gratitude and acceptance. 

I don't know about you, but I often struggle to accept gifts.  That day, on a small island in the Pacific, God reached down and showed me that it was my pride that was standing in the way.  It is beautiful to give and it is beautiful to receive. 

Comments