the lonely spaces
I have been dreading this week. This is the first year I haven't seen family on Christmas day. I know that's something to be thankful for -- I've had so many wonderful years and wonderful memories -- but it almost makes this harder.
When I started getting invitations to different events or services or parties, I accepted them all. Better to be busy so the loneliness couldn't catch me. How did I fall into that trap? I lost sight of the fact that loneliness can't be filled by people . . . no matter how special they are.
Thankfully, God can fill the lonely spaces. He is the only One who can.
Matthew 28:20b
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Isaiah 58:11
The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
All of us have lonely spaces in our lives. We try to fill them with people, things, activities. And yet they grow deeper, darker, more-consuming.
When we understand that God fills our lonely spaces, we have freedom to enjoy people and relationships without putting on them the pressure of filling those spaces they were never meant or created to fill.
God can fill those lonely spaces. Let's let Him. Seek Him first. We are never alone, never rejected, never on our own. There is beauty in that knowledge. It releases us from the trap of loneliness.
When I started getting invitations to different events or services or parties, I accepted them all. Better to be busy so the loneliness couldn't catch me. How did I fall into that trap? I lost sight of the fact that loneliness can't be filled by people . . . no matter how special they are.
Thankfully, God can fill the lonely spaces. He is the only One who can.
Matthew 28:20b
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
Isaiah 58:11
The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
All of us have lonely spaces in our lives. We try to fill them with people, things, activities. And yet they grow deeper, darker, more-consuming.
When we understand that God fills our lonely spaces, we have freedom to enjoy people and relationships without putting on them the pressure of filling those spaces they were never meant or created to fill.
God can fill those lonely spaces. Let's let Him. Seek Him first. We are never alone, never rejected, never on our own. There is beauty in that knowledge. It releases us from the trap of loneliness.
So true, Susie! Thanks for sharing your heart and this very important reminder:-)
ReplyDeleteAmen and amen. I love that Matthew 28:20 quote.
ReplyDeleteI've had a couple of Christmases with adopted family instead of blood family, which made me more thankful for both. I hope you are able to find the balance between enjoying your connections with friends and taking time to acknowledge that not having family there hurts. But already knowing that God will help with that hurt is a great first step.
I'll be praying for you. *hug*
~Ruth
Praying for you, Susie!
ReplyDelete