lessons of 2013

A friend suggested writing a post this week about what I learned in 2013.  That's a big topic!  It's been a year of learning.  However, these are some things that definitely stand out although it is in no way a comprehensive list.

1.  God is my strength!
I've struggled a lot with my health this year, but God has proven over and over again that He is strong when I am weak.  I have learned to rely upon God for my strength and not upon myself!

2.  Patience is not a one-time lesson.
This has been a year of waiting.  I've spent a lot of time waiting for something that I felt should come/happen now, but in each situation I have learned that my time is not always the best and that I need to rest in the Lord and be obedient and that I will need to learn this lesson again!

3.  Cooking does not have to be scary.
Out of necessity, I have had to do a lot of cooking.  In PNG, we don't have access to a lot of restaurants or even sometimes stores.  You make a lot of food, it's never-ending, and even some "basic" ingredients like sour cream and bread.  I have learned that I can try new things and have success.

4.  I can survive swimming and boats!
In my opinion, water is a lot nicer to look at than to be in or on.  However, this year I was asked to swim a mile for a training course and I have been on small boats on the ocean.  I have learned that fear of the water does not need to control me.

5.  Friendships are a rich gift.
Living 10,000ish miles from "home" and family, I have been blessed with a wonderful group of friends in many places.  I have learned that we are on this journey of life together and friendship takes investment, but is also full of great rewards.

6.  It can always rain another inch.
Despite growing up in tropical rainforests and equatorial countries, I have found myself taken aback again at the intensity and magnitude of what rainy season entails.  I have learned that even if I think the ground is saturated, it can still amazingly rain more and most of the time the water gets absorbed!

7.  Lizards are not my friends.
I always liked lizards and geckos . . . until this year.  Now they have become my tormentors.  They crawl over my foot, land on my shoulder, jump out of my laundry basket, etc.  I have learned that no matter how helpful or cute the creature there should be personal space laws for creatures!

8.  Obedience, obedience, obedience.  
I don't always like what obedience means.  Sometimes it means taking a risk in a relationship.  Sometimes it means be willing to go forward even if you don't know what's coming next.  Sometimes it means being willing to wait.  I have learned that obedience is not easy, but it creates a deep dependence upon God and is important!

Comments

  1. This is a link-up post to a group of people who have also written on this topic. You can find the other posts at:
    http://idonthaveacluebutimfindingout.blogspot.com/2013/12/lesson-152-in-2013-i-learned-link-up.html?spref=fb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susie, I love that you thought about this topic, and posted on the link-up party! How fun that my friend and her friends in PNG are having similar conversations to mine with my friends in the states. Things are definitely different from the old missionary days!

    What a gift to be able to understand languages! I took Greek a few years ago, and thrived while someone was teaching me, but the second the classes were over, I've forgotten everything.

    Though all your insights were excellent, I particularly appreciated the thoughts about rain and lizards. I laughed out loud, but this is your reality. I am so grateful that you have listened to the Lord's call in your life, that you have trusted him, and that he has blessed you richly with great relationships and a firm sense of calling! I pray that he will bless all your work ... that people may receive God's word in their own language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! It was fun to join the link-up. You are so right, the changes that technology has brought to the world has made a big impact on what it means to live in another country. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment