crinkled eyeballs

Today was the kind of cold that makes your nose stick together and your eyeballs crinkle.  Spending the past five winters in Texas and four before that in Kentucky has spoiled me.  Frigid cold is not an easy adjustment!

Here in Laramie, there is a museum (Laramie Plains Museum at the Ivinson Mansion) that has an open house at this time of year.  I had never been to the museum, even though my Grandma volunteered there for a long time.  Today, I went and walked through the building.  It was built in the late 1800's by the Ivinson family who lived there for many years.  Apparently they were on the very first train into Laramie in 1868! 

Early to mid-1900's photo of the mansion and carriage house.

It was fun to see a bit of history of Laramie.  Did you know that in 1869 Wyoming Territory gave women the right to vote and that the first municipal election in which a woman voted was in 1870 in Laramie?  Cool, huh?

Now I know a bit about the family that many things in town are named after.  Ivinson Museum, Ivinson Avenue, Ivinson Memorial Hospital (where I was born), etc.

I love Laramie and Wyoming, despite the eyeball crinkling cold and wind.  : )

By the way, here's a photo of the cinnamon sugar pull apart bread.  I finally got it on my computer.

Yum!

Comments

  1. 'eyeball crinkling cold' - that's a great word picture! And yeah, Texas winters are no way to prepare for the real thing. :-p At least you will get to go somewhere warm in January... :-)
    ~R

    p.s. *note to Blogger* I am not a robot, but I AM nearsighted... please make your little pictures legible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with the legible pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment