verses of the week

These are some of my favorite verses from the past few days and a little bit about why some of them have been important.

Deuteronomy 32:3-4
I will proclaim the name of the LORD.  Oh, praise the greatness of our God!  He is the rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.


Colossians 4:2
Devote yourself to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

* I love that this verse has the emphasis on being thankful in your prayers. 


1 Peter 4:11
If anyone speaks he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.  If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Christ Jesus.

* As I was reading this verse I was reminded that it can be a good thing when I feel unqualified or incapable of doing the work/tasks of the day.  When I feel this way I have a beautiful opportunity to depend wholly upon the strength God provides.  It's easy to mistakenly go forward on my own strength (or at least thing I am) and miss this beautiful dependency.  As someone who craves independence, it is a big step to call any type of dependence beautiful, but God breaks down those misconceptions and barriers in my mind until I do think that.  What a marvelous God we have!  It's so encouraging to know that I do not need to be capable, but simply willing and dependent upon God. 


2 Corinthians 12:9-10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."


Romans 14:7-8
For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone.  If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we dies, we die to the Lord.  So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

* I belong to the Lord!  This is so comforting.  The other day I was thinking about how even though I am surrounded by others and I have a wonderful group of prayer partners who daily encourage me, it can still feel lonely and isolated.  But I am not alone because I belong to the Lord.  He holds me in his heart and calls me daughter.  I am never alone!


1 Kings 8:57, 58, 60, 61
May the LORD our God be with us as he was with our fathers; may he never leave us nor forsake us.  May he turn our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways and to keep the commands, decrees and regulations he gave our fathers, so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the LORD is God and that there is no other.  But your hearts must be fully committed to the LORD our God, to live by his decrees and obey his commands, as at this time.

* What a beautiful prayer!  We don't want to keep this wonder to ourselves. 

Comments