history of pages

Almost ten years ago, my parents gave me a Bible for my high school graduation.  I picked it out, but to be honest I didn't put much effort into the process.  That spring, the Bible I had been using was in a backpack that was stolen.  I had returned to using my Adventure Bible that was a gift for my eleventh birthday and wasn't really interested in getting used to another one. 


And so it remained that way.  I would take my new (yes, it still feels new) Bible to church occasionally, more so as the years went by, but when it came time to read my Bible or when I wanted to look up an important verse, this is the one I chose. 

It's been a part of my life for seventeen years.  The pages are covered with underlinings, stars, comments, etc. in a multitude of different colored inks and highlighters and styles.  They each represent a different part of my life.  The pink is from one year, the blue from another, and on it goes. 


As time has gone by, I have sometimes wondered if I should maybe switch, but there was such a comfort in opening my Bible and seeing the history on the pages; finding the messages that have stood out throughout the years.  However, when I began packing to go to PNG I decided that this was it, time for me to switch.  Now, four(-ish) days away from departure, I'm beginning to wonder what it will be like. 

The more I think about it, the more I get excited about the change.  I'm looking forward to these new pages gaining a history of God's personal love story to me.  I'm looking forward to one day opening the cover and finding the same kind of journey that my seventeen year old Bible has.  It's a new beginning.  It's a new stage of the journey. 

But there are some things I don't want to lose. 
* The reminders on inside of the front cover


* The notation on the introduction to Romans
Be Intentional!
- in your actions
- in your relationships
- in your obedience
- in your life

* Or the one at the beginning of James
How good is your God? 
Have a BIG view of God not a small one!

* The notes in 1 Corinthians
ch.1 - Identity needs to be in Christ.  
ch.1 - Unity with Christ is our focus.
ch.9,10 - Use your rights to serve others, make decisions based on what makes Christ look GREAT!

* The notes in Acts
ch.12 - Peter was at peace, rest totally in God & His Word!
ch.13 - Enjoy your relationship with God! 
ch.17 - Don't worship without knowing Who you are worshipping.  

* The note in Luke
 ch.9 - Say NO to any selfish desire and YES to anything the Lord asks of you. 


. . . and much more.  God has taught me a lot through His Word over the past seventeen years.  I pray that I will be open to learning even more over the next. 

Comments

  1. Take them both! :-)

    I have done the same thing my nana gave me a bible and I love it. I had lost it, at church of all places, and for my birthday my sis-in-law got me a new one. It was just like the one I had, but so different. I couldn't get use to it. Luckily, my pastor found my original in a pile of bibles someone "donated" and gave it back to me! It brings so much comfort to have my bible back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment