swimming and encouragement
Thursday was our first swimming day. We swim at least once a week in an effort for us to a) be comfortable in the water and b) become better, stronger swimmers. The goal is to swim a mile. There is a 100 meter rope they set up in the ocean and 8 laps (there and back) will make a mile.
Swimming is one of my least favorite things to do, so I can't say that I was looking forward to it, at all. However, that morning we had been told that it was good to stretch ourselves and do as much as we can. They quoted from James about considering it all joy and keeping a good attitude through some of our physical activities that may be a stretch.
James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Therefore, I made a swimming joy list:
1. I got farther than my goal (goal was 2 laps and I finished 4!)
2. There was nothing horrible (e.g. jellyfish, snake) in the water
3. It's only once or so a week
4. I won't fail, even if I never make a full mile!
5. This is good exercise (my muscles are not fond of me right now)
6. This is growing me and pushing me to be better
Lamentations 3:21-25
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him. The LORD is good to those who hope in him, to the one who seeks him."
Today, I also read the following verse in Isaiah and was so encouraged.
Isaiah 59:1
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.
Even when I am weak, God is strong. Even when I am unsure, God is confident. Even when I am struggling, God is competent.
Swimming is one of my least favorite things to do, so I can't say that I was looking forward to it, at all. However, that morning we had been told that it was good to stretch ourselves and do as much as we can. They quoted from James about considering it all joy and keeping a good attitude through some of our physical activities that may be a stretch.
James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Therefore, I made a swimming joy list:
1. I got farther than my goal (goal was 2 laps and I finished 4!)
2. There was nothing horrible (e.g. jellyfish, snake) in the water
3. It's only once or so a week
4. I won't fail, even if I never make a full mile!
5. This is good exercise (my muscles are not fond of me right now)
6. This is growing me and pushing me to be better
Lamentations 3:21-25
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him. The LORD is good to those who hope in him, to the one who seeks him."
Today, I also read the following verse in Isaiah and was so encouraged.
Isaiah 59:1
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear.
Even when I am weak, God is strong. Even when I am unsure, God is confident. Even when I am struggling, God is competent.
I have on my wall in my office "Do one scary thing each day." Or one not-so-favorite thing, or one hard thing. I hope you continue to find joy in swimming each week. I worked myself up to a mile of swimming each day years ago. I found the first 10th of the mile was the worst. After that I got into a zone. Hang in there. It will continue to get better, I'm sure.
ReplyDelete