mosquito nets and views
I’m sitting inside a bright green mosquito net as I write this. All around me are the sounds of bugs chirping and the cries of unhappy children struggling to adjust to the climate and the time zone. Tomorrow I’ll go to what they call the “cozy corner” to use the hotspot internet and send this off to post on my blog. I’m thankful for internet, despite the limitations. J
POC sits at the top of a mountain and on several sides you can see a beautiful view of the ocean. We rode up the mountain in the back of the dyna, which is a large truck with an open back that has benches . . . perhaps I’ll get a picture soon so you can see what I’m talking about. The road . . . more of a dirt path was in many parts not quite as wide as the truck with steep hills and lots of sharp curves. Due to a large storm a few days ago the road had turned to mud and we had to be pulled out of one spot by a back hoe that came down from the top of the mountain to rescue us. It was fun to hear the exclamations of the children on the ride as we saw new things and experienced this ride. POC starts on Wednesday, but a lot of us have already arrived and are adjusting before we get thrown head first into learning.
I’m attaching a couple of pictures so you can see my side of the room I share with another lady and one part of the view. Isn’t it gorgeous!
I just read Isaiah 58:11, “The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.” Oh how I needed those words! It’s about 328% humidity. I don’t think my hair will ever be completely dry either from washing or sweating . . . can hair mold? Let’s hope not! J
So far, I have had two (almost) successful conversations in Tok Pisin. I almost threw in a couple words in French or Spanish and did have to use a couple of English phrases, but it was encouraging and the people were patient.
1 Peter 3:15a “But in your heart set a part Christ as Lord.”
Your mom accidentally called me yesterday, but it was nice to hear her say you had made it safe and sound! Know that Tim and I are praying for you! The pictures are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAh, the POC dyna! I have one memory of it from our own POC, but mostly I remember it from a particular trip one year... I know you know what I mean, and I hope you are now grinning too - what memories we made! :-) Thanks for making me smile.
ReplyDelete~R
I do know what trip you mean! :) Fun, fun!
ReplyDelete