the man who tried to save time
One of the books I loved to read growing up was The Man Who Tried to Save Time by Phyllis Krasilovsky.
If you have not had the pleasure of reading it here is the basic plot . . . a man decides that he is going to alter his schedule in order to save time. He eats breakfast and gets dressed before going to bed. When he wakes up he eats lunch, etc.
The point is that he isn't saving any time, he's simply rearranging his time.
There are days that I wish I could save time. There are days that I find myself wondering if I can save a few seconds by buttoning a shirt from bottom to top instead of top to bottom (another great book). But most of the time, all I end up doing is rearranging my time.
This week I am on a new schedule. With the beginning of my last class I also began a new routine to my day. Since Relevance Theory meets right after lunch and it would not make sense to go into the office at 3pm, I have been going in early in the morning. This pretty much sets my world on end (as I say on day two of this schedule)! I am not in the least bit a morning person and my first alarm clock goes off at 5:54am . . . this is a time of day that I do not like to acknowledge!
This morning I realized that I was ready to eat my lunch . . . at 8:45am! This of course prompted the memory of the book. : )
The real trial is that being a night person, I have trouble going to sleep "early" enough to get enough sleep by the time my alarm clock goes off. Last night I was very proud of myself for turning off the light about 10:45pm, but then I couldn't sleep! All day I have been struggling to stay awake, but I know that if I take a nap this afternoon or evening I will have the same problem tonight. Hopefully, this will not become a bad cycle of not sleeping at normal hours (which I am much too capable of falling into)!
There are 38 days left of this class. Not that I am counting or anything! : ) I keep telling myself that I can survive this early morning schedule for that long. However, I am under no illusion that this will create a good habit of getting up early. I know myself too well. : )
And to think that I used to (on purpose for some reason) get up before 6am three times a week to go running for about two years in high school. Crazy!
If you have not had the pleasure of reading it here is the basic plot . . . a man decides that he is going to alter his schedule in order to save time. He eats breakfast and gets dressed before going to bed. When he wakes up he eats lunch, etc.
The point is that he isn't saving any time, he's simply rearranging his time.
There are days that I wish I could save time. There are days that I find myself wondering if I can save a few seconds by buttoning a shirt from bottom to top instead of top to bottom (another great book). But most of the time, all I end up doing is rearranging my time.
This week I am on a new schedule. With the beginning of my last class I also began a new routine to my day. Since Relevance Theory meets right after lunch and it would not make sense to go into the office at 3pm, I have been going in early in the morning. This pretty much sets my world on end (as I say on day two of this schedule)! I am not in the least bit a morning person and my first alarm clock goes off at 5:54am . . . this is a time of day that I do not like to acknowledge!
This morning I realized that I was ready to eat my lunch . . . at 8:45am! This of course prompted the memory of the book. : )
The real trial is that being a night person, I have trouble going to sleep "early" enough to get enough sleep by the time my alarm clock goes off. Last night I was very proud of myself for turning off the light about 10:45pm, but then I couldn't sleep! All day I have been struggling to stay awake, but I know that if I take a nap this afternoon or evening I will have the same problem tonight. Hopefully, this will not become a bad cycle of not sleeping at normal hours (which I am much too capable of falling into)!
There are 38 days left of this class. Not that I am counting or anything! : ) I keep telling myself that I can survive this early morning schedule for that long. However, I am under no illusion that this will create a good habit of getting up early. I know myself too well. : )
And to think that I used to (on purpose for some reason) get up before 6am three times a week to go running for about two years in high school. Crazy!

Comments
Post a Comment