36 hour cave
. . . or thereabouts.
This past weekend I went into hibernation mode to write my hopefully second to last paper for grad school! : ) That's a great thing to be able to say!
Whoever first said "too much of a good thing" was a kindred spirit of mine. I love to learn. I always have loved learning. I'm the type that has been known to read an entire textbook . . . just for fun! And yet, my enthusiasm has been waning the past few months, no doubt in part to the hectic schedule of maintaining classes and work.
Despite this un-enthusiasm that has come over me, I am still realizing what an absolute privilege it is and has been to study at GIAL. My life feels enriched because of my time here and yet I am ready for that time to be coming to a close. This week starts my very last class here! Another eight weeks and then studying for comprehensive exams which take place in November and I can kiss this experience good-bye!
In honor of my last semester here is a list of fun things about GIAL:
* Former classmates are currently (or about to be) serving in more than 20 countries!
* I have been told that the mascot is the Fighting Uvula
* Our professors are an exceptionally talented and dedicated group!
* It's normal to go to class barefoot : )
One of the things I like to do while writing papers is turn on a movie in the background. It often helps to keep me awake because silence definitely doesn't. Every now and then I get distracted and lose focus, but for the most part it's pretty effective. This weekend I watched ten . . .yup, ten! Like I said, it was a 36 hour cave in a two-and-a-half day time period!
Some Highlights:
* You've Got Mail has an option to watch the movie with no sound . . . only the music. However, since the songs don't continue through the dialogue most of the time it is like watching a silent picture. Makes me laugh because I have no idea what inspired them to do that!
* Notting Hill has a fantastic soundtrack! My favorite song is "When You Don't Say a Thing" sung by Ronan Keating.
* Did you know that the people who acted in Julie & Julia actually had to eat all the food that they are shown eating, in all of the different scene takes? Meryl Streep said she gained 15 pounds!
* A Walk to Remember was filmed in 34 days.
* In How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Ben Barry (Matthew McConaughey) wears a Duke shirt! : )
I guess there is definitely a theme to the movies I picked . . . mostly romantic comedies. However, today I have been inspired to watch Last of the Mohicans, (thanks to Ruth who called me and played me the theme song as encouragement to keep going!) so that will break the streak! : )
This past weekend I went into hibernation mode to write my hopefully second to last paper for grad school! : ) That's a great thing to be able to say!
Whoever first said "too much of a good thing" was a kindred spirit of mine. I love to learn. I always have loved learning. I'm the type that has been known to read an entire textbook . . . just for fun! And yet, my enthusiasm has been waning the past few months, no doubt in part to the hectic schedule of maintaining classes and work.
Despite this un-enthusiasm that has come over me, I am still realizing what an absolute privilege it is and has been to study at GIAL. My life feels enriched because of my time here and yet I am ready for that time to be coming to a close. This week starts my very last class here! Another eight weeks and then studying for comprehensive exams which take place in November and I can kiss this experience good-bye!
In honor of my last semester here is a list of fun things about GIAL:
* Former classmates are currently (or about to be) serving in more than 20 countries!
* I have been told that the mascot is the Fighting Uvula
* Our professors are an exceptionally talented and dedicated group!
* It's normal to go to class barefoot : )
One of the things I like to do while writing papers is turn on a movie in the background. It often helps to keep me awake because silence definitely doesn't. Every now and then I get distracted and lose focus, but for the most part it's pretty effective. This weekend I watched ten . . .yup, ten! Like I said, it was a 36 hour cave in a two-and-a-half day time period!
Some Highlights:
* You've Got Mail has an option to watch the movie with no sound . . . only the music. However, since the songs don't continue through the dialogue most of the time it is like watching a silent picture. Makes me laugh because I have no idea what inspired them to do that!
* Notting Hill has a fantastic soundtrack! My favorite song is "When You Don't Say a Thing" sung by Ronan Keating.
* Did you know that the people who acted in Julie & Julia actually had to eat all the food that they are shown eating, in all of the different scene takes? Meryl Streep said she gained 15 pounds!
* A Walk to Remember was filmed in 34 days.
* In How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Ben Barry (Matthew McConaughey) wears a Duke shirt! : )
I guess there is definitely a theme to the movies I picked . . . mostly romantic comedies. However, today I have been inspired to watch Last of the Mohicans, (thanks to Ruth who called me and played me the theme song as encouragement to keep going!) so that will break the streak! : )
Hooray, you made it! Listening to the sound track totally put me in the mood for that movie too! :-)
ReplyDeleteThe list of the fun things about GIAL made me laugh (partly because I wonder how many people actually know what a Uvula is!) Thanks for the smiles :-)
~R