hop, skip and a jump
In an effort to go right to sleep last night I decided to go running yesterday evening. Running has a tendency of making me extremely sleepy, although I have never quite figured out why that is since for most people it wakes them up. However, it was a ridiculous 98+ degrees. I saw one sign that said 103, but I think it was a bit high. That combined with the fact that I haven't been running since June . . . I could blame that entirely on the heat, but I am sure part of it is just me . . . resulted in a not very long run!
It did the trick though. When I went to bed at 10:30 (earlier than the night before!) I fell right asleep! : ) However, I woke up at 4:30 . . . which I feel defeats the purpose! : /
As I was running, and telling myself that under no condition could I quit because it had only been seven minutes, I heard a very loud squeal! A car on the road hadn't been paying attention and when the car in front of it slowed to turn the driver behind had to slam on the brakes. (By the way, I just used metonymy in that sentence . . . too much linguistics!)
Despite the fact that I was on the sidewalk and not even next to the cars I had the automatic reflex of doing a "hop-skip-and-a-jump" brake in my running.
It made me smile and as the burnt rubber assailed my senses it also made me think how likely we are to "brake" at the first sign of trouble. We may be on a path that is completely unaffected and yet we let it affect us . . . just a little something I'm thinking upon today.
Meanwhile, I am exhausted. I don't understand morning people. Yes, I have seen pretty sunrises the past few days; but this whole waking up at the "BCOD," as my friend Lindsey calls it, does not seem to be sitting well with me. Today is day three . . .
On another note, here are parts of a text message conversation between my mom and me from this morning regarding upcoming comprehensive exams ---
Me: The date for my impending doom has been set for Nov. 19!
Mom: You can't think of it as doom, Susie, but of accomplishment. : ) 3 more months!
Me: Yes, sorry. My impending date of six grueling hours that decide my fate has been set. : ) . . . [was told] we should study every single thing covered in any of the core classes. I guess I just pick one and start.
Mom: . . . It is surely a huge task and one you can't even begin in your own strength. May God give you the plan and the perseverance and strength to carry it out! . . . doing a Bible study and read one of God's primary purposes for His ppl is to teach them to tap into divine power to accomplish divine purposes.
Me: . . . I'll take it one at a time. Today I'll set up a study schedule. Channel thoughts from the little engine that could. : )
I love my parents and how encouraging and wise they are! : )
Prayers for my survival, discipline, passing, sanity, memory, etc are and will be appreciated!
It did the trick though. When I went to bed at 10:30 (earlier than the night before!) I fell right asleep! : ) However, I woke up at 4:30 . . . which I feel defeats the purpose! : /
As I was running, and telling myself that under no condition could I quit because it had only been seven minutes, I heard a very loud squeal! A car on the road hadn't been paying attention and when the car in front of it slowed to turn the driver behind had to slam on the brakes. (By the way, I just used metonymy in that sentence . . . too much linguistics!)
Despite the fact that I was on the sidewalk and not even next to the cars I had the automatic reflex of doing a "hop-skip-and-a-jump" brake in my running.
It made me smile and as the burnt rubber assailed my senses it also made me think how likely we are to "brake" at the first sign of trouble. We may be on a path that is completely unaffected and yet we let it affect us . . . just a little something I'm thinking upon today.
Meanwhile, I am exhausted. I don't understand morning people. Yes, I have seen pretty sunrises the past few days; but this whole waking up at the "BCOD," as my friend Lindsey calls it, does not seem to be sitting well with me. Today is day three . . .
On another note, here are parts of a text message conversation between my mom and me from this morning regarding upcoming comprehensive exams ---
Me: The date for my impending doom has been set for Nov. 19!
Mom: You can't think of it as doom, Susie, but of accomplishment. : ) 3 more months!
Me: Yes, sorry. My impending date of six grueling hours that decide my fate has been set. : ) . . . [was told] we should study every single thing covered in any of the core classes. I guess I just pick one and start.
Mom: . . . It is surely a huge task and one you can't even begin in your own strength. May God give you the plan and the perseverance and strength to carry it out! . . . doing a Bible study and read one of God's primary purposes for His ppl is to teach them to tap into divine power to accomplish divine purposes.
Me: . . . I'll take it one at a time. Today I'll set up a study schedule. Channel thoughts from the little engine that could. : )
I love my parents and how encouraging and wise they are! : )
Prayers for my survival, discipline, passing, sanity, memory, etc are and will be appreciated!
I love that you use a word like metonymy to describe how you describe an almost car accident. It makes me giggle. And FYI, if I went to sleep at 10:30 and woke up at 4:30 I would be a literal zombie. How anyone enjoys sunrises I will never understand.
ReplyDeleteSunsets are JUST THE SAME, and no one has to get up at the BCOD.
Ah Susie, you make me laugh. :-) I agree with you about not being a morning person, even if my new work schedule is an hour later than yours. I know how much the frustration comes at both ends of sleep (and how exhausting that gets). And even though I don't know what metonymy is, that parenthetical comment made me laugh anyway - linguistics gets in your head doesn't it? :-)
ReplyDeleteYou can DEFINITELY do this Susie!
~R