seventeen voices

Words seem so inadequate to describe the blessing of spending the weekend with my entire family.

We're a lively, loud, overwhelming bunch . . . seventeen in all . . . and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have to find a quiet corner or porch step a couple times over the past few days.

And yet among the noise and chaos, there was such sweetness:
* Cousins meeting for the first time
* Older cousins learning to play together after turning away from each other at the first
* Uncles giving horsey rides
* Aunts giving hugs
* Grandparents playing soccer and running on the playground
* Parents counting heads at the zoo and chasing kids enthralled with seeing the next exhibit
* A fun collection of family traditional foods: chicago style pizza, ice cream, fireballs, and pickles, anyone?
* Family picture attempts with heads and limbs all going in different directions

These are some of the memories I treasure. It's been two years since we all gathered and we don't know when the next time will be.

One of my favorite moments was when all the adults gathered after lunch one day to share prayer requests and come before God's throne together. What a precious time! As the "amens" sounded, Mom looked around the table and said, "I love you guys!"

One of the hardest moments was saying goodbye. Leading up to this weekend, my heart has been heavy, knowing what was lurking on the other side. How do you say goodbye and let go of family? Getting in the car and driving away after multiple second and third hugs, my heart felt as if it was ripping apart. I have "bonus time" with some of my family members over the next couple of weeks, but it seems so short.

Yesterday, feeling overwhelmed with the pain, I sent out a desperate plea for prayer to several friends and was blessed by the responses. I am striving to keep my focus on God's promises.

--- "I will pray for His perfect peace, strength and comfort to engulf all of you . . . He will show Himself mighty and bear you up."
--- "Praise God that He has sent us a comforter in the Holy Spirit!"
--- "No matter what, God's goodness and love will continue and He will never let go of you!"

I am so grateful that God does not ask us to traverse life alone! Not only does He place people into our lives as blessings, He also promises to never abandon us. That is a promise to cling to with ferver!

Thankful for these moments, the seventeen voices echoing in my heart, the wisdom and encouragement of friends, and the promises of an ever-faithful God, I am confident about moving forward.

Comments