trusting with obedience

I've been thinking a lot about obedience and trust the past few weeks.  They are common threads throughout Scripture.  Interwoven threads.  When you think about one, the other should follow.  They are complementary, partners in crime.

Obedience is a sign of trust.  Trust is incomplete without obedience; lacking in fullness.  Obedience embodies trust.  It puts trust into action; puts your money where your mouth is.

Is my trust characterized by action and obedience or just by words? 

Obedience takes trust from being hollow and inconsequential to being vibrant and whole.  It deepens trust and makes it stronger. 

It reminds me of part of a hymn (1887 by John Sammis) that we sang a lot when I was a child.

Trust and Obey
When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will,
he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet
we will sit at his feet,
or we'll walk by his side in the way;
what he says we will do,
where he sends we will go;
never fear, only trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.


I want vibrant trust.  I want my life to be characterized by obedience.

Comments