letter openers
Irrational fears.
Some fears are so illogical, and yet it is nearly impossible to overcome them. For instance, I have a tremendous dislike and fear of letter openers. If I'm being honest, it's actually of all knives and sharp things.
I blame this fear on the time I severely sliced my index finger while cutting bread when was about five or six. The pain was excruciating, the memory nearly as bad. Even now, two decades later, my finger is occasionally tender around the scar and I am overprotective of my finger.
One of my responsibilities in helping out with the accounting at the office is to open the mail and process it . . . and yes, this does involve a letter opener. Each slice of the envelopes opening causes an instinctive grimace and flinch. This is somewhat humorous because the letter openers we use are not the ones that resemble knives; the small blades are well-protected and ensconced in plastic. Does that change my reaction? No, not even a little bit.
Fear is irrational.
It belies logic.
It overcomes our sensibilities.
Fear is irrational.
It is not trustworthy.
It must not be allowed to win.
I struggle with fear. I struggle with doubts and misgivings. I struggle with irrationality. I wish I didn't, but by now I have come to realize that there will never be a time in my earthly life when I will not have these struggles.
The difference is living despite my fears rather than living under them.
Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself will go before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Some fears are so illogical, and yet it is nearly impossible to overcome them. For instance, I have a tremendous dislike and fear of letter openers. If I'm being honest, it's actually of all knives and sharp things.
I blame this fear on the time I severely sliced my index finger while cutting bread when was about five or six. The pain was excruciating, the memory nearly as bad. Even now, two decades later, my finger is occasionally tender around the scar and I am overprotective of my finger.
One of my responsibilities in helping out with the accounting at the office is to open the mail and process it . . . and yes, this does involve a letter opener. Each slice of the envelopes opening causes an instinctive grimace and flinch. This is somewhat humorous because the letter openers we use are not the ones that resemble knives; the small blades are well-protected and ensconced in plastic. Does that change my reaction? No, not even a little bit.
Fear is irrational.
It belies logic.
It overcomes our sensibilities.
Fear is irrational.
It is not trustworthy.
It must not be allowed to win.
I struggle with fear. I struggle with doubts and misgivings. I struggle with irrationality. I wish I didn't, but by now I have come to realize that there will never be a time in my earthly life when I will not have these struggles.
The difference is living despite my fears rather than living under them.
Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself will go before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Good post. Although I don't know anything that will help my fear of crickets. :)
ReplyDelete