stuffing words and meanings

Tomorrow is the big day of spitting out what I have learned in the past almost two years.  As I have been studying the past few weeks there have been many moments when it didn't feel possible to fit ANYTHING ELSE in my head!!!  Which of course suggests the need for a break, right? : )

This intensive studying has been overwhelming at times, and slow at times . . . when I can't focus and look at the clock to see it is 3am and I have to get up and go to work in the morning . . . but it seems to be working.  A couple of days ago I was reviewing a set of flashcards I had made a few days before then and realized that it was all familiar and began to be encouraged and believe this is possible.

It's amazing how susceptible we (at least I) become to lies of inadequacy.  I can't do this! There's no way to remember it all!  What will happen if/when I fail?  I have come to (re-)realize this week that it is more exhausting to worry about failing than it is to work hard and put in your best effort. 

I think I am finally at the right balance, not stressed but still motivated to work hard . . . although it was somewhat painful to get here!

What I am Looking Forward to?
* sleeping a full night!
* being able to read a book for fun again
* not feeling guilty when I take time off to go running
* having time to do my laundry and wash the dishes (although I can't say I am actually looking forward to those activities, but the results of them)

Interesting Bits from Studying
"Hardly a moment of our waking lives is free from words, and even in our dreams we talk and are talked to.  We also talk when there is no one to answer.  Some of us talk aloud in our sleep.  We talk to our pets and sometimes to ourselves"
--- Fromkin, Rodman & Hyams (2006)

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."
--- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1800s)

"Trust is earned, and must periodically be confirmed."
---Howard Gardner (2004)


I'm off to study some more. : ) 

Comments