vowels and accents
I was working on some Hebrew homework last night (see picture below) and was reminded of how many little intricacies there are to language.
Each language has specific characteristics and oddities that only belong to it. It's fascinating. I think of languages as a puzzle and when I learn one I am trying to figure out where all the pieces fit together and how they interlock and even how they relate to other languages.
While studying at GIAL, I have figured out that a lot of translation can be seen this way too. You start with an original text (source language) and the goal is to transfer it into the receptor language in such a way that it fits the rules and guidelines of the receptor language, while still maintaining the integrity of meaning, form, etc of the source language (including author's intended meaning). It's a big puzzle. Sometimes you can't find the right piece. Sometimes you try pieces that are a disguised fit, but when you try to add something else to it, you realize that it doesn't actually go there.
This all takes on a whole new meaning and importance when the text in question is God's Word. It can be extremely overwhelming, but as our professor told us in Theory and Practice of Translation last semester (paraphrased) . . . it's in things like this, where you are overwhelmed and can't figure out how to accomplish the task, that you realize that it's only possible through God's strength. Not of your own.
This really ties in with the topic of humility that has been on my mind the past couple weeks. When I realize that a task is too big for me humanly, too complex, I can depend upon God. And in that dependence is also a recognition of my weakness and inadequacy. It doesn't have to be something that makes me feel worthless . . . but rather honored that I can participate in something greater than I am.
Keeping the focus on God.
| paradigms of imperfect tenses |
Each language has specific characteristics and oddities that only belong to it. It's fascinating. I think of languages as a puzzle and when I learn one I am trying to figure out where all the pieces fit together and how they interlock and even how they relate to other languages.
While studying at GIAL, I have figured out that a lot of translation can be seen this way too. You start with an original text (source language) and the goal is to transfer it into the receptor language in such a way that it fits the rules and guidelines of the receptor language, while still maintaining the integrity of meaning, form, etc of the source language (including author's intended meaning). It's a big puzzle. Sometimes you can't find the right piece. Sometimes you try pieces that are a disguised fit, but when you try to add something else to it, you realize that it doesn't actually go there.
This all takes on a whole new meaning and importance when the text in question is God's Word. It can be extremely overwhelming, but as our professor told us in Theory and Practice of Translation last semester (paraphrased) . . . it's in things like this, where you are overwhelmed and can't figure out how to accomplish the task, that you realize that it's only possible through God's strength. Not of your own.
This really ties in with the topic of humility that has been on my mind the past couple weeks. When I realize that a task is too big for me humanly, too complex, I can depend upon God. And in that dependence is also a recognition of my weakness and inadequacy. It doesn't have to be something that makes me feel worthless . . . but rather honored that I can participate in something greater than I am.
Keeping the focus on God.
Comments
Post a Comment