Hebrew . . . Day 1
I had the brilliant idea that I would take Hebrew this semester . . .
Reasons:
*I needed a biblical language and Hebrew is my weaker language even though I took 14 credits of both Greek and Hebrew in undergrad
*I didn't want to wait until next semester to take the language (when Greek is offered) as that would postpone several other things
*etc . . .
eeeek!
The class focus is definitely on one of my weaknesses: speaking. At least that is the impression from the first day.
One thing I have learned very well from the many years that I have studied several different foreign languages is that I don't do well speaking them . . . especially in class.
Yet another educational experience through which I relearn humility coming up. I'm sensing a theme. So here are some verses I found on humility. It's a good reminder.
Psalms 147:6
The LORD sustains the humble but casts the wicked to the ground.
Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Isaiah 66:2
Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the LORD. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.”
(I love this focus . . . trembling at God's word!)
Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Reasons:
*I needed a biblical language and Hebrew is my weaker language even though I took 14 credits of both Greek and Hebrew in undergrad
*I didn't want to wait until next semester to take the language (when Greek is offered) as that would postpone several other things
*etc . . .
eeeek!
The class focus is definitely on one of my weaknesses: speaking. At least that is the impression from the first day.
One thing I have learned very well from the many years that I have studied several different foreign languages is that I don't do well speaking them . . . especially in class.
Yet another educational experience through which I relearn humility coming up. I'm sensing a theme. So here are some verses I found on humility. It's a good reminder.
Psalms 147:6
The LORD sustains the humble but casts the wicked to the ground.
Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Isaiah 66:2
Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the LORD. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.”
(I love this focus . . . trembling at God's word!)
Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Comments
Post a Comment