first (and last) marathon
First, I have to say that running 26.2 miles hurts!!!!! A lot!!! Okay, now that that is settled, here are some fun/funny/great things about the race . . .
Most Interesting Person:
The pace leader for the group that was going to finish in 5:15 was running his 92nd marathon! He said that next year he is planning on reaching 100! Wow!!! I am impressed!
Funniest Sign:
That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying!
Encouraging Things:
- I found two pennies (reminders to trust God)
- pretty trees and flowers were blooming on the side of the road, including one of my favorites - the redbud tree
- Daniel and Sarah met me at mile 17 and ran a block with me before making their way to the finish line (after eating lunch . . . which I was somewhat jealous of)
- All of the people cheering along the way . . . it's easier to keep going, despite the pain, when people are rooting for you
- Many people praying (in many different states)
- WATER STATIONS!!!! So thankful for everyone who came and handed out water and powerade every mile and a half!
My Favorite Sideline Cheerers:
A few miles into the race, I saw a couple with a dog. I noticed them because the dog was quite pretty and the lady was wearing bright green and the guy was wearing Texas orange. A few miles later, I saw them again and a few miles after that I saw them a third time. This time, I commented to them that it was the 3rd time I had seen them and thanks for coming out. I saw them a fourth time . . . and a fifth. I don't know who they were out there cheering for, or if they were just there to cheer in general. As I was coming up to the finish line, with no one else around me, I looked over to the left side and there they were yelling and cheering for me!!! It made me grin! I never got to meet them, but I so appreciated the fact that I saw them six times and that they were so supportive. What a blessing!
Favorite Text Message While Running:
In the middle of mile 19 --- "Keep going honey. The Lord is your strength and song. We are proud of you." --Mom (for Dad too) I have amazing parents!!!
Fun People Met While Running:
- Four ladies who had all trained together were running (with some walk breaks) about my pace for the last 9-ish miles. We would go back and forth passing each other and it was fun to kind of tag along for a little bit.
- Two guys from northern Mississippi were also at the same running/walking stage during this time. After passing each other several times we ended up walking together for a bit. I said that I was trying to convince my feet they didn't have blisters. One of them responded that he was trying to convince his feet that he wasn't doing this! After that, they called me blisters. : ) A while later I heard the other guy, who had run a marathon before and had talked his friend into joining him this time, tell some people that he has started running with his dog and that she does really well on the "heels." His southern accent made hills sound like heels and I got the funny mental image of a dog running with heels on. : )
Overall, it was a great day! I came away from the marathon feeling extremely blessed. Blessed by God, blessed by great people in my life and great people along the course, and blessed that I was able to complete a goal that I have had for many years.
Someone asked me last week if I was running the marathon just to say that I had run one. The answer is no, while it is nice to be able to say that now : ), it's not the main reason. I love to run. About twelve or thirteen years ago I started running on a regular basis and not long after that I realized that I really like long distances rather than sprinting. In track and field I always did the longer events and at the time thought that a 5K was long; but I dreamed that one day I could really do long distances, like a marathon. And I have wanted to do one ever since. Not just to say that I've finished a marathon, but because it was a goal/challenge that I wanted to face, and to conquer. It was something I really wanted to do, something I dreamed of doing. And now that I have, I am satisfied and don't feel the need to put myself through the training process or the pain ever again.
As I have trained for this race, I lost a lot of my joy in running. There was pressure to run a certain number of times a week and to go a certain length so that I would be ready. It became almost a burden instead of something that I love. And I missed being able to go for a run after a long, hard day to relieve the stress. It just didn't have the same appeal, or cathartic effect. But now that it's done, I am looking forward to running again . . . not for a couple weeks because my feet hurt and I have many blisters . . . but it sounds appealing again. It sounds like fun.
Most Interesting Person:
The pace leader for the group that was going to finish in 5:15 was running his 92nd marathon! He said that next year he is planning on reaching 100! Wow!!! I am impressed!
Funniest Sign:
That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying!
Encouraging Things:
- I found two pennies (reminders to trust God)
- pretty trees and flowers were blooming on the side of the road, including one of my favorites - the redbud tree
- Daniel and Sarah met me at mile 17 and ran a block with me before making their way to the finish line (after eating lunch . . . which I was somewhat jealous of)
- All of the people cheering along the way . . . it's easier to keep going, despite the pain, when people are rooting for you
- Many people praying (in many different states)
- WATER STATIONS!!!! So thankful for everyone who came and handed out water and powerade every mile and a half!
My Favorite Sideline Cheerers:
A few miles into the race, I saw a couple with a dog. I noticed them because the dog was quite pretty and the lady was wearing bright green and the guy was wearing Texas orange. A few miles later, I saw them again and a few miles after that I saw them a third time. This time, I commented to them that it was the 3rd time I had seen them and thanks for coming out. I saw them a fourth time . . . and a fifth. I don't know who they were out there cheering for, or if they were just there to cheer in general. As I was coming up to the finish line, with no one else around me, I looked over to the left side and there they were yelling and cheering for me!!! It made me grin! I never got to meet them, but I so appreciated the fact that I saw them six times and that they were so supportive. What a blessing!
Favorite Text Message While Running:
In the middle of mile 19 --- "Keep going honey. The Lord is your strength and song. We are proud of you." --Mom (for Dad too) I have amazing parents!!!
Fun People Met While Running:
- Four ladies who had all trained together were running (with some walk breaks) about my pace for the last 9-ish miles. We would go back and forth passing each other and it was fun to kind of tag along for a little bit.
- Two guys from northern Mississippi were also at the same running/walking stage during this time. After passing each other several times we ended up walking together for a bit. I said that I was trying to convince my feet they didn't have blisters. One of them responded that he was trying to convince his feet that he wasn't doing this! After that, they called me blisters. : ) A while later I heard the other guy, who had run a marathon before and had talked his friend into joining him this time, tell some people that he has started running with his dog and that she does really well on the "heels." His southern accent made hills sound like heels and I got the funny mental image of a dog running with heels on. : )
Overall, it was a great day! I came away from the marathon feeling extremely blessed. Blessed by God, blessed by great people in my life and great people along the course, and blessed that I was able to complete a goal that I have had for many years.
Someone asked me last week if I was running the marathon just to say that I had run one. The answer is no, while it is nice to be able to say that now : ), it's not the main reason. I love to run. About twelve or thirteen years ago I started running on a regular basis and not long after that I realized that I really like long distances rather than sprinting. In track and field I always did the longer events and at the time thought that a 5K was long; but I dreamed that one day I could really do long distances, like a marathon. And I have wanted to do one ever since. Not just to say that I've finished a marathon, but because it was a goal/challenge that I wanted to face, and to conquer. It was something I really wanted to do, something I dreamed of doing. And now that I have, I am satisfied and don't feel the need to put myself through the training process or the pain ever again.
As I have trained for this race, I lost a lot of my joy in running. There was pressure to run a certain number of times a week and to go a certain length so that I would be ready. It became almost a burden instead of something that I love. And I missed being able to go for a run after a long, hard day to relieve the stress. It just didn't have the same appeal, or cathartic effect. But now that it's done, I am looking forward to running again . . . not for a couple weeks because my feet hurt and I have many blisters . . . but it sounds appealing again. It sounds like fun.


Comments
Post a Comment