how a battery changed my perspective

I keep a flashlight on the dresser by my bed.  In some ways, it takes the place of a bedside lamp.  Instead of standing on the edge of my bed and leaning as far as possible across the room to switch off the overhead light . . . all the while hoping I don't lose my balance and fall . . . I turn on the flashlight so I can still see when the overhead light is turned off.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the circle of light was dwindling to the point where I could hardly see to walk across the room.  I turned the light back on and found a different, recharged battery.  When the new battery was in and the overhead light switched off, the brightness almost shocked me.  I had grown so used to the dull, pale light.

A battery is effective only if it has a charge.  Some batteries may last weeks or months or, like the one in my wall clock, years.  Others may need to be recharged every day.  It depends in part on how much they're used and perhaps more on what they're used for.

As I marveled in how bright my flashlight was, I was reminded of how easy it is to forsake charging my spiritual batteries.  The light of the flashlight dulls gradually, sometimes so gradually that the change is imperceptible until I can hardly see.  In the same way, my spiritual vitality can slowly dull until I find myself faltering -- perhaps I react to a situation badly, or I lose my temper, or say something I shouldn't, etc.

Unless we diligently and consistently recharge our spiritual batteries, our light fades.  When Moses left the mountain after being in God's presence and seeing God's glory, he radiated God's light so brightly that the people were afraid to approach him.  In the same way, when we spend time in God's presence, His light shines in us and through us.  The more we charge up, the more effective we are and the brighter that light shines.

This year, I am helping out with an adult literacy course.  At the close of each lesson, we remind the students how important it is to practice reading and writing every day.  The daily repetition and exercise instills the knowledge deeply; it allows for the best possible outcome.  It isn't easy, it requires determination and commitment to make that a priority amidst the interruptions of daily life.

As it is important for the literacy students to daily practice, it is also important for us to daily renew and recharge.
2 Corinthians 3:18
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect God's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

The transformation is a process.  It's not something we attain once and can check off as complete.  It is a daily transformation in our lives through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

I was remembering a song we used to sing in Sunday school, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.  Hide it under a bushel, NO!  I'm gonna let it shine."  Don't you think that when we forsake our spiritual health we are in a way hiding our light under a bushel?  We're letting it fade.

There is a spiritual battle in this life and yes God is victorious, but are we living victoriously?  Are we plugging ourselves into His strength and His grace and His love and charging up so that we can best face this life?    

Comments