give thanks

Another month, another thankful list.  There is so much to be thankful for each day, but I'm not always good at writing the things down to remember for these lists.

1.  Splashes of Beauty.  I can never be thankful enough for the beauty that God shares with us through His creation.

Banana plants

Orange orchids

Looking out at the valley

A bee in my garden.

Wouldn't you love to read a book here?

Peeling bark and new life.

I love these flowers, but I have no idea what they're called.

A Jacaranda tree in bloom.

Roses and wildflowers.

Sweet William.

Hello spider!  A friend said this is an orb weaver.

2.  Shorter Steps.  Last week, I began a five week training in translation skills and translation consultancy.  The day the course began, I found out from a friend that the classroom we're meeting in is much closer than the one we were initially planning to be in.  As a result, the walk is 4-5 minutes each way rather than 15-20 minutes.  Even in just the first four days, this has been an incredible blessing in may ways, one of which is that I have time to get home and eat lunch without being in a rush to turn around and walk back for the afternoon session.

Some steps are more secure than others.

3.  Tomatoes.  I recently finished a three month elimination of all the nightshade foods.  It has been delightful to add the foods back in over the past two weeks and enjoy things like salsa and french fries.  The elimination didn't seem to make a difference, which in a way is good because I can keep on enjoying things like tomatoes. :)


4.  Moments of Silence.  I live in a community, which most of the time is wonderful.  Other times, it's very noisy.  I've learned to embrace the rare moments of silence wholeheartedly.  Although, when I say silence it's not really accurate seeing as there are birds and insects that echo through the trees night and day.

5.  Flash Cards.  I recently uncovered my vocabulary flashcards from Greek class ten years ago.  When I packed them to come to PNG with me, I was thinking perhaps one day I'd use them again and it turns out I do.  Part of the five week training I'm currently in is using the Greek source text in translations and it's been really helpful to pull out my flash cards and brush up on some of my vocabulary.  I'm thankful they made it across the ocean and I don't have to make new ones. :)

6.  An Attitude of Prayer.  As we go through these weeks of translation training, I am reminded again and again how important prayer is to the process.  It is vital.  To adequately translate and communicate the source text into the receptor language without adding or removing anything is exceptionally difficult.  In addition, gaps in culture and time create more obstacles in conveying the meaning the authors intended.  Essentially, the process doesn't work without prayer and a lot of it.  I'm thankful for the attitude of prayer the organization and my co-workers have and I'm thankful for the people all over the world who pray for the work of translation.  Never underestimate the impact that your prayers are having!

7.  Moderate Days.  I was realizing today that the pain and fatigue I deal with on a daily basis hasn't been quite as severe over the last few days.  These are what I call moderate days.  Sometimes they come in stretches and sometimes they come one at a time.  However they arrive and for as long as they stay, I am grateful.  I know many people are praying for stamina for me as I attend this five week course and this is a wonderful answer to prayer so far.

8.  Candles.  A couple of the light bulbs in my house have burned out and I haven't found a time to go to the shop and get replacements.  Thus, my evenings are lit by candles, flashlights, and light from another room.  I've found myself thankful for the candles.  They're a simple thing, and yet not.

9.  Soup.  Last week I made vegetable soup on market day.  Lots of fresh veggies to put into the pot.  As typically happens when I cook, it made a huge amount which I then portion out and eat over a few weeks.  I'm not sure what I did differently, but this soup tastes almost like a soup I used to get at a restaurant in the U.S. that I was missing.  Whatever the difference was, I'm thankful for this little taste of home. 

10.  Coming Home.  I'm thankful for my house here in Ukarumpa.  It's always a joy to come home to and for that I'm thankful.

My house. :)

I'd love to know what you're thankful for this month!

Comments