counting blessings
There is so much to be thankful for and when I am feeling frustrated, confused, sad, or just down, choosing to be thankful helps to round out my heart’s emotions and point me back to the direction I need to be looking. Focused on my Savior and Maker.
Normally, my list is just that a list, but this month I want to flesh out the items a bit more and explain why I’m thankful for these particular things. So here’s my thankful list for March:
1. Electricity – power outages remind me of how much of a blessing it is to have a fan on a warm, warm day like today!
2. A Bible in my own language – these past couple of weeks working with national translators has reminded me of what a blessing I have and how easy it is to take that for granted.
3. Airplanes – spending time in a coastal town on an island has reminded me of how thankful I am that I have the opportunity to travel by airplane. The sea has been particularly rough the past few weeks with all of the wind and rain we’ve had and I’ve heard some stories about very unpleasant boat travel.
4. Sleep – one thing that often happens when I go to a new place here in the country is that I struggle to sleep well with all of the surrounding noises, etc. This trip has proved to be sweet relief to that and an answer to much prayer. I have slept well every single night.
5. Internet connection – while here, I’ve been blessed to have a consistent, although limited, connection to internet so I can send and receive emails. This has been such a blessing as it has allowed me to maintain contact with family and friends.
6. Faithful family and friends – before coming I asked people to pray for fellowship here, but also to send messages. What an encouragement is has been to receive messages from so many people! There have been a few days when the loneliness has seemed really strong, but I’m so thankful for this communication that has helped to fill my days and make me feel connected although I am here alone.
7. God’s promise to be with each of us always – Even more than the blessing of people, I have felt the blessing of God’s walking this journey ahead of me and with me. I am never alone.
8. Wisdom when I run short – we’ve been tackling some intense passages of Scripture in our translation sessions and I have felt overwhelmed more than once in how to answer some really tough questions. It has sunk in how much responsibility this job carries as we’re dealing with God’s Holy Word, but when I run short I know Who to turn to find the answers. He has provided grace and wisdom during this time and clarity to be able to understand and explain some tough cultural issues.
9. A healthy guard dog – the dog here at the compound had a couple of sick days this past week and refused to eat while moping and looking and acting really pitiful. I was worried, both for him and for me as I had no idea what to do with a sick dog and no one else was here to ask. Thankfully, after much prayer and a couple of days, he has started eating again and is back to his energetic self!
I’m going to leave it at that for now. This list is shorter than usual, but that makes it easier to post from my email account. I would love to hear what you are thankful for!
Your posts are truly a blessing to me.
ReplyDeleteWhat a joy to hear that, thank you!
Delete