interdependent and blessed
It was Saturday afternoon. I had just come back from a book sale from the community library (right across the street) and was buried in a book. The phone rang and I didn't immediately move. Then, I realized what the noise was and jumped to my feet, swerving around furniture to reach it before the person on the other end of the line gave up.
A sweet woman who is leaving the country after serving here for more than 30 years called to ask a favor. Would I be willing to come help clean and run errands? I put the bookmark on the page I was reading and grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading out the door. It wasn't what was on my schedule when I woke up this morning, but I had been wanting to stop by to say good-bye and thought this was a good opportunity.
Today, I received a great blessing. Someone picked up the phone and asked for help.
So often I get lost in my independent spirit and want to do things on my own and in doing so I miss out on the opportunities to bless others by asking for help. Asking creates dependence. You are letting go of your need to be independent; letting go of your need for control.
I didn't do much. Just helped with little things that can distract from the big things when you're packing up a house and a lifetime, but I was honored. Honored to be able to serve her as others have served me. Honored that someone would ask me. Honored to bless someone else.
Today has urged me to release my clutch on independence and reminded me that it's not a bad thing to ask for help. Instead, it can be a blessing, for you and for the one you ask. Today has reminded me that we are interdependent and thus we are blessed.
A sweet woman who is leaving the country after serving here for more than 30 years called to ask a favor. Would I be willing to come help clean and run errands? I put the bookmark on the page I was reading and grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading out the door. It wasn't what was on my schedule when I woke up this morning, but I had been wanting to stop by to say good-bye and thought this was a good opportunity.
Today, I received a great blessing. Someone picked up the phone and asked for help.
So often I get lost in my independent spirit and want to do things on my own and in doing so I miss out on the opportunities to bless others by asking for help. Asking creates dependence. You are letting go of your need to be independent; letting go of your need for control.
I didn't do much. Just helped with little things that can distract from the big things when you're packing up a house and a lifetime, but I was honored. Honored to be able to serve her as others have served me. Honored that someone would ask me. Honored to bless someone else.
Today has urged me to release my clutch on independence and reminded me that it's not a bad thing to ask for help. Instead, it can be a blessing, for you and for the one you ask. Today has reminded me that we are interdependent and thus we are blessed.
Comments
Post a Comment