munching dirt

This is a beautiful and diverse country.  Five weeks ago, a group of us leaving our training course, traveled in the back of a large truck from the northern coast to the highlands.  It's not that far, but the roads don't exactly induce quick passage. 

We had been praying for several specific things as we prepared for this trip:
* low river crossing
* intact bridges
* dry roads
* safe passage

It was so dry that in the back of the truck we were eating dust for eight hours!  I guess that's a good answer to prayer! : )

Isn't this a fun flower?

Where we stopped for lunch. 

Cosmos along the road.

Bird of Paradise flower.

This is one of my favorite types of trees.  They are so pretty.  There is also a tree house/platform in this one!

In the back of the truck!  Only somewhat, okay a lot, grimy at lunchtime.  It didn't help that I was putting on sunscreen, which attracted the dirt even more!
Crossing a river, one of many.

Palm Oil trees, there were rows and rows of them!

This might be one of my favorite pictures from this country. 

More of the Palm Oils.

This is a new bridge.  The one before it washed out a few months ago due to high water.
Then we got to the mountain climb.  You go up and up and up in a short amount of time.  It's beautiful and gorgeous and not the least bit terrifying . . . okay, a little bit. : )

Beginning the up portion.

This bird kept following the truck.

Looking over the valleys.

The road we just came up.

Another of my favorites!

You can see the mudslide that is in the front of the picture; just near the road, the ground drops off!  I didn't realize how close it was and when we stopped for a short break I accidentally got a bit too close for comfort! 

Proof that I was there . . .

Goodbye to the view.

It's a beautiful drive and a great way to see more of the countryside.  : )

Comments

  1. Ah, the Highlands Highway... :-) You take magnificent pictures! (I wonder if your other readers know you can click on the pictures to see them bigger? That is without your entertaining captions,though... :-)) Thanks for sharing them with us!
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful country! I'm glad you didn't fall down that mudslide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Suzie. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment