vl - names and faces

A very special part of village living was meeting and spending time with my village nephew.  He was born the third day after we got to the village.  As newcomers to the family, we were given the honor of passing a name onto the baby.  Instead of using a girl's name for the little guy, he was named after my father, Dave.  This was pretty special.  Every time they would refer to him in my presence he was called, "Papa bilong Susie" or Susie's Papa.  I was not allowed to use his name, but I got to hold him and spend time with him. : )

My village sister, Lily, and her son sleeping in a bilum (string bag)

Holding my village nephew, Dave, named after my father.

Dave sleeping in his bilum.

Aunt Georgina, holding baby Dave.

But I don't want to sleep right now . . .

These following photos bring a smile to my face, because they are predominantly of the people who made the village seem like home.  They do not in any way begin to represent everyone, but they are a small tribute to my village family.

Lily (village sister) and Mama working on a bilum.

The bilums that my teammate and I made with the help of several ladies in the family.  Mine is on the right.  They are stretching out in this picture. 

Narelle playing Uno with some of our village siblings.  L to R: Piu, Georgina, Liona

Visitors!!!  L to R: Narelle, Me, Lindsey, and Delaina.  They were staying in another section of the large village we were in so we were able to see them on a somewhat regular basis and occasionally go visit each other. :)

Georgina holding a piece of a WWII airplane that crashed nearby.

Looking at pictures on the digital camera!  L to R: Georgina, Liona, Piu, and a cousin.

I was able to teach several ladies a different style of bilum (string bag) from a different part of the country.
   
Getting my hair braided by my village cousin, Elise.

We had the opportunity of watching some local villages play a soccer tournament at a nearby field.

Look, my outfit matches the flower! :)

Um, is she going to slide down the hill trying to get next to the flower bush?  The kids had fun watching us on what to them is natural terrain.

Laura --- adopted child of our village grandmother.

Bath time!  Village cousin Christina bathing her son, Moses.

A village elder who came to our going away feast to story with us.

Cousins!

Enjoying the party!

After the going away feast our last night in the village, we all sat up late (until 1-2am) to make bilums (string bags) and story around a small lamp.  I counted seven bilums being made around our circle.

Wearing my going away gift . . . a bilum (string bag) made from bush rope.  Natural fibers that have been made from vines, which was peeled and twisted into rope and then dyed different colors.  This pattern is specific to the area we were living.
Some village cousins who came to send us off the morning we left. 

This is my last post about village living!  It only took me about a month to get put together these posts, I guess it could be worse.  : )  The five weeks, even though I spent some of the time away from the village because of sickness, was such a great time.  Full of blessings and challenges.  Full of lessons and joy.  Full of God's grace and love. 

I'm so thankful for my village family and the time that I was privileged to live among them.  I will never be the same. 

Comments

  1. All the beautiful faces... thanks for sharing (we don't mind that it took you a while, that let us enjoy it for longer :-)). I remember the kids playing with my hair too, they just loved blond hair. :-) I am glad you had a good time in village living!
    ~R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other name I was considering for this post was "all the beautiful faces"! :) But then I decided not to because it didn't include everyone, which would negate the inclusive pronoun.

      Delete

Post a Comment