the struggle of flame
We made delicious lentil stew for supper. Unfortunately, our fire was being troublesome. I puffed and puffed and puffed to try to keep the flames going only to have them flicker out again. Time and time again.
As I'm struggling with this and feeling very frustrated that the flames won't just stay and do their job, I'm imagining five weeks in village living where ALL of our meals are cooked this way and not just our weekend meals. It was a discouraging thought.
On one hand, by much practice, we should gain good experience and hopefully have an easier time, but on the other hand cooking over a fire seems to be a full-time occupation to keep yourself fed.
So here's my prayer request: the next time you turn on your oven or your stove or your microwave, would you pray for me as I'm trying to cook (sometimes unsuccessfully) over a fire.
* Would you pray that the fires will light and stay lit?
* Would you pray that we will learn good techniques for getting and keeping the right temperature to cook or bake?
* Would you pray for patience?
* Would you pray that the smoke will not burn our eyes and make the experience all the more harder?
I appreciate it! It's not completely discouraging as the food we have made has turned out quite nicely and it is rewarding to succeed, but the process can be a struggle.
This afternoon, as I was adding another piece of wood to the fire and puffing to help the ignition, I was reminded of how our faith can be like a flame. It needs to be fed and oxygenated and revived and cared for. As we add the fuel to the flame of our relationship with God, we grow in that relationship, but if we neglect the flame the embers can cool and become harder to keep lit. Just a little analogy to encourage myself and you to keep our faith flame tended.
As I'm struggling with this and feeling very frustrated that the flames won't just stay and do their job, I'm imagining five weeks in village living where ALL of our meals are cooked this way and not just our weekend meals. It was a discouraging thought.
On one hand, by much practice, we should gain good experience and hopefully have an easier time, but on the other hand cooking over a fire seems to be a full-time occupation to keep yourself fed.
So here's my prayer request: the next time you turn on your oven or your stove or your microwave, would you pray for me as I'm trying to cook (sometimes unsuccessfully) over a fire.
* Would you pray that the fires will light and stay lit?
* Would you pray that we will learn good techniques for getting and keeping the right temperature to cook or bake?
* Would you pray for patience?
* Would you pray that the smoke will not burn our eyes and make the experience all the more harder?
I appreciate it! It's not completely discouraging as the food we have made has turned out quite nicely and it is rewarding to succeed, but the process can be a struggle.
This afternoon, as I was adding another piece of wood to the fire and puffing to help the ignition, I was reminded of how our faith can be like a flame. It needs to be fed and oxygenated and revived and cared for. As we add the fuel to the flame of our relationship with God, we grow in that relationship, but if we neglect the flame the embers can cool and become harder to keep lit. Just a little analogy to encourage myself and you to keep our faith flame tended.
Suzie, thanks for all your post. It's great to get a feel for what you are doing. We have been praying and will continue to pray. What a beautiful place you are living. Yuck, the sunburn! I can relate to that.
ReplyDelete