beautiful humility
Almost two years ago I wrote a couple of blog posts about how I was in the process of learning humility . . . the thing about lessons like this is that they are never fully learned. So this week, guess what I've been learning about? Yup, humility. Silly pride issues! : )
These are two of the verses I found about humility two years ago, and good reminders for me today.
Isaiah 66:2
Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the LORD. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.” (I love this focus . . . trembling at God's word!)
Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Earlier this week, I read Hebrews 4:16 “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
I am struck by the difference between confidence in approaching God and humility. We are not called to confidence and disregard for God. We are called to confidence in our relationship with God which will in turn produce mercy and grace. I have to imagine that someone full of mercy and grace is also humble. There seems to be a connection between those characteristics. In all of them, there is a recognition and praise of God.
So here are my questions, to myself and to you if you wish:
* Are my actions and attitudes reflecting confidence in my relationship with God?
* Are they full of mercy and grace?
* Are they humble?
When I push myself too hard in swimming and find that I need someone to help me make it back to shore, am I stewing in embarrassment or resting in humility? When a storm comes through and knocks down the wooden frame for our outdoor kitchen, but none of the others, am I holding on to my frustration and shame or resting in humility?
Events like these tend to show me a side of myself that I don't like all that much. On the other hand, they provide me with beautiful opportunities to grow in my relationship with God. It's taken me all day of being frustrated and praying for grace to reach this point . . . where I can actually view these as positives, but how much richer am I for that perspective? I long to be characterized by humility and grace, but I'm not there yet. How reassuring that we have a patient God who is so ready and willing to lead us back when we stray down these paths?
Humility is beautiful because it reflects a beautiful God.
These are two of the verses I found about humility two years ago, and good reminders for me today.
Isaiah 66:2
Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the LORD. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.” (I love this focus . . . trembling at God's word!)
Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Earlier this week, I read Hebrews 4:16 “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
I am struck by the difference between confidence in approaching God and humility. We are not called to confidence and disregard for God. We are called to confidence in our relationship with God which will in turn produce mercy and grace. I have to imagine that someone full of mercy and grace is also humble. There seems to be a connection between those characteristics. In all of them, there is a recognition and praise of God.
So here are my questions, to myself and to you if you wish:
* Are my actions and attitudes reflecting confidence in my relationship with God?
* Are they full of mercy and grace?
* Are they humble?
When I push myself too hard in swimming and find that I need someone to help me make it back to shore, am I stewing in embarrassment or resting in humility? When a storm comes through and knocks down the wooden frame for our outdoor kitchen, but none of the others, am I holding on to my frustration and shame or resting in humility?
Events like these tend to show me a side of myself that I don't like all that much. On the other hand, they provide me with beautiful opportunities to grow in my relationship with God. It's taken me all day of being frustrated and praying for grace to reach this point . . . where I can actually view these as positives, but how much richer am I for that perspective? I long to be characterized by humility and grace, but I'm not there yet. How reassuring that we have a patient God who is so ready and willing to lead us back when we stray down these paths?
Humility is beautiful because it reflects a beautiful God.
Hey Susie-
ReplyDeleteThis reflection on embarrassment vs humility was just what I needed today! Well, actually, many days- but this one in particular! Thanks!