How to Prepare - Holding Loosely

Series: How to prepare to go on the mission field
Topic: Holding Loosely

This topic keeps on coming up and it's an important one.  What am I holding tightly in my life?  What do I need to learn to relinquish or let go of?

Part of the preparation process is sorting, packing, and list-making.

List to Take
As I compile the list of things to go with me, I have been going through a multi-step mental process:
1. Is this necessary/practical?
2. Do I have it, or would I need to buy it?
3. Can I substitute something else?

List to Store
If something isn't included on that list, should I keep it?  Is there value in storing something for 3+ years on the off chance I might need it in the future?  It costs something to keep something; storage costs, time for decision making, etc.

List to Give/Sell
If something doesn't make the take list or the keep list, there is yet another decision to make.  What do I do with it?  Give it to a friend?  Donate it to Goodwill or the missionary boutique?  Sell it?

Decisions are exhausting; there is a mental and emotional cost involved.  It has been a reminder of how possessions can become a burden in more ways than one. 

Recently, I was thinking about the passages in Matthew 10 (sending out the 12 disciples) and Luke 10 (sending out the 72) where Jesus tells them not to take along a bag, staff, or extra tunic.  There is a command of simplicity and dependence. 

How do we balance that with responsibility and good stewardship?   

Main Point
The more I contemplate the issue of holding loosely, the more I realize it goes beyond possessions.  It's involved in our plans, schedule, and desires.  We like to be in control, to know what is going, how things will happen, when, who, etc . . . we are control freaks.

Holding loosely to the things of this world involves being flexible with our time and plans as well as having a proper attitude about possessions.  The heart of the matter is that all we have, our time, our money, our relationships, and so forth, we have because of God. 

Nothing, absolutely nothing, is more important or valuable than a relationship with God. 

Comments

  1. Very inspired right now, Susie. I don't think I could do what you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment