Top Hats and Rolling Hills

To the Weather Channel: You were so wrong when you predicted a couple inches of snow in the late afternoon. So wrong!

When I opened the garage door (I have a morning tradition of racing out the garage door before it shuts on me so I don't have to trudge all the way around the house to get to my car) this morning, I saw a field of white . . . and a blob where Percy used to be. Hadn't planned on digging out my car before class this morning. I am so thankful for the snow scraper/brush I have! And for the fact that the four inches stacked on my car were not icy! Good news is that even though I was almost eight minutes late to class I wasn't the last one! :)

At 10am we adventured outside between classes and built a snowman. At noon, with the snow still coming down, we had a snowball fight with about 20 people; including some of the faculty! :) Of course, snowball fights wouldn't be complete without snow angels and rolling down hills . . . so we did that too!

But of course the end result of that sort of fun is being cold and wet. So a few of us were doing homework at the library and trying very hard to warm up and dry off, when someone comes in and says a group is going sledding in less than an hour. You have to understand something here . . . snow in Texas is a rarity! Especially real snow and not just a flurry.

So with the prospect of sledding, we pack up our homework . . . class has been canceled for Friday anyway so this can wait . . . and head out to the parking lot to clear off another 5 inches of snow from our cars. Get in the car and . . . no response! Percy doesn't start. :/ What now? Took the key out, put it back in and tried again. Nothing! Quick prayer for help and I tried again. Still nothing! At this point my fingers were freezing from clearing the car; my coat was still wet from the roll down the hill several hours earlier and my toes had started to get numb so I decided to pass on the sledding and get the car thing figured out. :/

After several more failed attempts I called my parents to see what they would do; which is so much better than having to decide on my own! :) Sure enough, on the phone describing how the car won't start and it comes to life! But then I could get out of the parking space. There had been so much snow that poor Percy was buried so I had to get back out of the car and dig more. And of course this couldn't be solved on the first try either so I get in . . . nope, still stuck . . . get back out and dig . . . get in and try again . . . nope, the wheels are just spinning. :? Pull forward a few inches and try to get some momentum, no such luck! It probably took another 5-10 minutes to get the car out of the parking lot! But thankfully, I made it home! And Percy seems no worse for the experience. :)

So what do I do? Get warmer clothes on and go back outside to play. Like I said, snow in TX is a rarity and as such should be taken advantage of! I built a snowman, which for old times sake should be called George III. And since every reputable snowman should have a top hat, I gave him one! :)

Comments

Post a Comment