the meatless taco & the upside down tree

One full week of classes complete! YAY! I have read more than 350 pages and done at least 10 homework assignments, written 8 abstracts about those bajillion pages, and taken a production transcription practice/test. Tomorrow is our first transcription test in phonetics. I am so ready for a nap!

The Meatless Taco
This afternoon I was at the library from the time class got out (3:25) until 7:30, when I finally decided I needed food . . . however, I am not very familiar with the area yet and didn't know where I could find food (today was definitely a not-making-dinner day). Finally, I figured out there was a Taco Bell about a mile away and on the way home (relatively), "how convenient" I thought.

So I got in my car and adventured out, only to find the Taco Bueno was actually closer. "$2.99 platter meals" I thought to myself, so I stopped. I have only been to a Taco Bueno once before so I couldn't remember what I had ordered before and seeing as I don't really eat meat, there were not a lot of options. So I ordered the "cheese quesadilla" off the $2.99 menu (it comes with rice and beans and chips) and I saw the picture had a taco on the plate too. So I asked if I could have the taco without the hamburger. The lady looked at me very strange (like they inevitably do . . . it doesn't seem like a strange request to me) and asked if I wanted chicken instead. I explained that I don't eat meat and so she entered the order.

When I sat down to wait I realized the taco had been extra! They put it in the picture to make you think you get it at the lower price, but then charge you $3.89 for it. Not cool! (In their defense, there is fine print at the bottom of the sign that does say it, but the picture is deceiving . . .) Back to the point, when my number was called I picked up my food and realized they had made my "cheese quesadilla" with chicken in it! :/ So I got a "meatless" meat taco and a "meated" meatless quesadilla!

The Upside Down Tree
In grammatical analysis class today we were drawing Phrase Structure (PS) Trees from some Bisa (Ghana) sentences. PS Trees are the ones where you start at the top with S for sentence and draw lines down for all the main components of the sentence like NP (noun phrase), PP (pre/postpositional phrases), V (Verb) and so on. We were near the end of class so the teacher asked a few of us to take a sentence and draw the PS Tree on the board. I was assigned sentence #2. So I took my paper and plotted the pretty tree on the board . . . only to realize (when someone pointed it out) once I was done and seated again, that it was utterly and completely backwards! The word order in Bisa is different than English, but when I was writing it up I reversed every single phrase/constituent in my head! How embarrassing! The teacher absolutely loved it because it showed everyone exactly what NOT to do! :) I am pretty sure my faced turned a few shades of red, but it's really quite hilarious now. :)

blonde moment of the day: (as if the previous wasn't bad enough)
I had asked someone for a number I needed for something and when he told me, before I had something to write with, I was so preoccupied that I wasn't really paying attention. So I found my pen, said something like "could you please repeat that?" and waited. He looked at me like I was from some other terrestrial planet (no wonder really) and said again, "9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1"!

Yup, I think in the process I even managed to mention something about I had been in class all day and my brain was kind of full so I didn't think I could remember it and should probably write this down . . . all after he said it the first time. :/

Comments

  1. That meatless taco story is really funny. That sounds like something that would happen to me, except I'm not a vegetarian.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment