2021 weekly check-in: 1 of 52

This year I have three big goals.  There will probably be more that I come up with over time, but these are my start.  

Goal 1 -- Run/Walk 500 miles this year.  I joined the Run the Year online challenge.  A lot of people have committed to do 2021 miles and I have to admit the idea is fun, but I had to be realistic about my own abilities.  Five hundred miles in a year works out to approximately 9.6 miles per week.  At this stage in my life that's about as far as I can consistently push myself.  Some weeks, even that distance is not feasible.  

This afternoon as I was walking back to my car after a short run, I was struck again by how grateful I am to be able to run at all.  Every time I put on my shoes and head out the door, it's a choice that I'm going to use my limited physical energy that way.  I may not be able to run as fast or as far or as often as I'd like, but each time it's a gift.  Running is a gift.  Movement is a gift.  Life is a gift.  I appreciate the gifts and celebrate the small victories.  

This week, I finished 8.64 miles.  

 

Goal 2 -- Commit to one hour of Bible study every day (for two years) as a part of ReviveSchool.  I posted about this earlier in the week.  

This week, I finished all seven days.  (Okay, I did two lessons on one day to make up for a day I missed, but still)


Goal 3 -- Read 150 books this year.  I have loved reading since I was a child and have used different methods to track my reading over the years.  A few years ago I started using Goodreads and one of the features I love is the yearly reading challenge.  In 2018, my goal was 100 and I finished 131.  In 2019, my goal was 100 and then I adjusted it to 75 and I eventually finished only 64 books.  In 2020, my goal was 100 and I finished 86.  Each of those years, I lost significant chunks of time when brain fog limited my ability to focus long enough to read a book for pleasure or any sort of comprehension.  

Again, I am not able to read as often, as fast, or as much as I'd like, but each time I finish a book, I'm grateful.  It's another victory.  And it's something that makes my heart happy.  Some weeks are easier than others. 

This week, I finished 6 books. 


And just because, here is one of the funniest memes I've seen on the internet recently. 


Comments