60 miles in 6 weeks

My job is a work-from-home type job.  This means I do and will spend a lot of time in the four walls of my apartment . . . an apartment with no real windows to the outside and thus no fresh air.  Even when I step outside, I'm located right near the dumpster so the air is decidedly not fresh. 

It is even less cheery than I thought it would be and while I am very thankful for a roof over my head and practically no (or at least very few) creatures to deal with -- it's a struggle.

At the beginning of June, I came across an advertisement for a virtual race.  Six weeks and you pick your distance: 30, 60, 90, or 120 miles.  And even better, the event raises money for food banks around Texas. 

I didn't waste time in signing up, but I wasn't sure which distance to choose.  I would love to be able to do 90 or 120 miles, but realistically I knew I was probably more at the range of 30-45 miles at the time.  So I settled on 60 for a challenge, which is ten miles per week.  You can run, walk, swim, bike, or whatever activity you choose. 

Sixty miles doesn't seem like a lot.  Ten miles a week even sounds realistic.  That's less than two miles a day.  And yet . . . it was definitely a challenge.  Especially since in April and May, I was lucky to get in one walk a week and that was usually between 1-3 miles. 

I began running again, after taking several months off, but my body feels so sluggish most days that it's been difficult to maintain distance and pace. 

Nevertheless, this weekend marked the end of those six weeks and with a lot of hard work, I finished 60 miles.  It definitely calls for a happy dance in my book. :)

It has helped to have a motivation to get out of the apartment.  I want to get out, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to move from wanting to doing when you don't feel very well.  But needing to go ten miles each week definitely spurred me on.

So I'm signing up for the second set of six weeks, which begins on Tuesday.  I'd love to add another challenge and say I'll go for 90 miles, but 60 was rough and I don't know if I can make 90.  I think I'll sign up for 60 and aim for 75 if possible. 

Comments