when the object killed the subject
We had some confusion over the subjects and objects of the verb "to kill" today while we were analyzing our translation of Luke 11. Not really the type of verb you want misconstrued. :/
The translation of several verses ended up completely skewed, with the draft saying that God sent prophets and apostles to kill the people rather than he sent them and they were killed by the people. Thankfully, we were able to rewrite the drafts with the proper subject, object, and verb placements. Whew!
When I prayed and asked God for clarity and that He would guide us to what most needs fixed in each verse I had no idea what exactly we'd be tackling and how much it could change the message of the text . . . think for a minute what the gospel looks like through the lens of this mistranslated portion of text.
The message of the Bible is so precious and yet the spiritual battle is fierce. So very fierce. I feel like I've been waging a war this week. Not just in the conversations we have about translation, but in the very depths of my soul -- who I am, how I react to things and people, anger, pride, apathy, and so much more.
Never discount how strong our enemy is. But even more so, never forget how powerful our God is.
The victory is already claimed. Live victoriously.
#prayforbibletranslation #givethanks #greatandmightygod #givegodtheglory #takeeverythoughtcaptive #livevictoriously #grammarnerd #linguisticsisfun #mostofthetime
The translation of several verses ended up completely skewed, with the draft saying that God sent prophets and apostles to kill the people rather than he sent them and they were killed by the people. Thankfully, we were able to rewrite the drafts with the proper subject, object, and verb placements. Whew!
When I prayed and asked God for clarity and that He would guide us to what most needs fixed in each verse I had no idea what exactly we'd be tackling and how much it could change the message of the text . . . think for a minute what the gospel looks like through the lens of this mistranslated portion of text.
The message of the Bible is so precious and yet the spiritual battle is fierce. So very fierce. I feel like I've been waging a war this week. Not just in the conversations we have about translation, but in the very depths of my soul -- who I am, how I react to things and people, anger, pride, apathy, and so much more.
Never discount how strong our enemy is. But even more so, never forget how powerful our God is.
The victory is already claimed. Live victoriously.
#prayforbibletranslation #givethanks #greatandmightygod #givegodtheglory #takeeverythoughtcaptive #livevictoriously #grammarnerd #linguisticsisfun #mostofthetime
Amen!
ReplyDeleteThose last three hashtags made me laugh :-) I'm sorry, though, that the battle has been so fierce. Thank you for letting us blog readers know, so that we can pray.
ReplyDelete