we are not alone

Over the past year, I've been trying to share more openly about the types of spiritual warfare I've experienced in recent years.  It's a complicated topic and I'll be the first to tell you I don't have all the answers.  All I can do is share my experience and the truths that have helped me. 

Taken at sunrise, flying over the island where I'm headed next month.

In April, I shared a devotion with a group of translators I work with who come from six different language groups throughout the country.  I know that if I'm dealing with spiritual warfare, others are too.  One of the key things I have found, one of the key weapons, is that this type of attack often makes us feel isolation; from others and from God. 

One of the key weapons we have to fight back with is the truth of God's Word.  One of those key truths: we are not alone, ever! There are dozens of passages I could quote, but these are a couple that have helped me most.

The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.  -- Deuteronomy 31:8
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  -- Isaiah 41:10

Another way we can fight back is to surround ourselves with people who know what's going on and who are committed to praying and interceding on your behalf.  That requires authenticity and vulnerability, but I can tell you wholeheartedly that it is worth it; so very much so.  One of the roughest, darkest, most oppressive stretches of time I've ever experienced was almost one year ago.  The battle was intense and I felt so very alone and worn out.  I didn't have the strength emotionally, physically, mentally, or spiritually to keep fighting the spiritual battle.  It felt like there was no end to the offense and my defense was getting weaker and weaker.  At the same time, I had no idea how to ask for help so I kept trying and failing, feeling more inadequate each day. 

Finally, I was able to communicate just enough that people knew something was going on.  One of the things I am most thankful for, in my entire life: those who heard my feeble message, recognized the cry for help and reacted.  I could feel the prayers in a tangible way.  I could feel the encouragement and support. 

I'm writing about this now, almost a year later, for a few reasons.  First, I have been so encouraged over the past eleven months by the prayers and intercession and I want to encourage others.  If you're dealing with something like this, be willing to speak out.  It doesn't have to be to the entire public, but find some people and tell them what's going on, share openly and deeply; be willing to ask for help. 

Second, if someone shares something like this with you, take it seriously.  We never know how intense the battle is that they are dealing with; we never know how much of an impact we can make. 

Third, I'm sharing this now because in a few weeks time I am traveling back to the same location I was in last year when this happened.  There was a large part of me that wanted to never go back to that physical place because I was/am afraid of that same intense spiritual battle.  But the more I prayed, the more I felt confident that as the verse in Deuteronomy above says, I am not going alone.  God goes before me and with me.  I also know that I do not go alone because I am covered by the prayers of others. 

And fourth, I'm sharing this because I want to petition your prayers.  Not only for myself, but for all the people around the world who are also facing spiritual warfare; who perhaps are so overwhelmed they don't know how to ask or who to talk to.  When I shared my story with the translators in April, I did so to encourage them that they are not alone in their work either; or in the challenges they face.  All of us believers are on this journey of faith together.  We fight together, but we fight for and with a victorious God.  We fight with confidence that there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that is stronger than our God.  We fight with weapons that are not human (Ephesians 6:10-20; 2 Corinthians 10:4-5).  We fight a battle in a war that God has already won. 

Will you pray with me?  Not just for me, although I do covet your prayers as I am already feeling some of the spiritual battle a few weeks out from this trip; but also for the three men I work with, for their families and communities.  For others we know that are in an intense battle of their own. 

Comments

Post a Comment