31 for 31
Hello from the southern hemisphere! It's about time for another monthly miscellaneous post. I actually started this earlier in the month, but ended up really busy and couldn't finish it until now. Nevertheless, here's my July compilation:
1. What is a Key Term? One of the things we do while checking translation drafts is to discuss key terms. Key terms in the New Testament range from names/titles (Christ, Pharisees), to places (synagogue, temple), to concepts (grace, love). They are vital to the understanding of the meaning of the text and often exceptionally hard to translate. Sometimes there is a finite difference between terms and sometimes the difference is quite large. Nevertheless, it is important that we understand the terms so we can understand how best to translate them.
2. A Brief Overview of 'Apostle'. In our discussions this month we had a long talk about the difference between a disciple, an apostle, a messenger, and a servant. So what is an apostle -- someone sent (to proclaim a message), usually someone who has had direct teaching from the sender, and someone given authority on behalf of the one that sent them.
3. Give Thanks. I'm thankful for: intercessory prayer, forgiveness, safety, abounding grace, and the confidence and boldness that can only come from God.
4. Beauty Splashes. Here are a couple from this month:
5. Favorite Books So Far This Month. Oh, I've read some really good ones this month! Fiction: Fading Starlight by Kathryn Cushman and the first two in Carolyn Miller's Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace (The Elusive Miss Ellison and The Captivating Lady Charlotte) top my list and they were both new-to-me authors so that's always fun. To add one more, I'm thoroughly enjoying Raptor 6 by Ronie Kendig although, I still have a couple of chapters left before I finish it. And perhaps one more, because I was so fascinated by how the story went the complete opposite direction I had expected, Bees in the Butterfly Garden by Maureen Lang. Classic: Pollyanna by E.H. Porter. Non-Fiction: The Big 10 Paleo Spiralizer Cookbook by Megan Flynn Peterson.
6. Most Favorite Book of the Month. Hands down best: The Lady and the Lionheart by Joanne Bischof! Since I didn't finish this post earlier in the month I had to add an addendum because as much as I liked the other books, I love this one!
7. Speaking of Books. I got a few in the mail this month that I was super excited about.
8. Mission Accomplished. One of my goals fro 2017 was to purchase a new refrigerator. I've been saying for three years that I need to, but it hasn't been a priority since the 20+ year old one I have has still been mostly working. Thanks to a good friend's help, this month I bought a new fridge! It's going to be delivered to my house this week so expect pictures in the future.
9. The Words Are Jumbled. During long days of translation work, my head often becomes a jumble of words. You see, I work in four languages (English, Tok Pisin, Tigak, and Greek) during the course of one day. While I love languages when we get to the end of the day, they all tend to meld together and my head swirls with incomprehensible words and phrases all mixed up.
10. Transition Again. When I began this post, I was in Kavieng for three weeks. As I finish it, I'm back in Ukarumpa for ten weeks. Then I'll go to Kokopo for four weeks. My life is full of transition.
11. Some Trials that Come With Transition. The type of transitory life I lead is not exactly the norm so I thought I'd briefly list some of the trials:
12. I Got a New Phone! It's very exciting to have a working phone again after four plus months. My old one started having trouble at the beginning of April and died completely in May. Here's the picture I set as the lock screen -- from my vacation in Australia in January:
13. Do You Stress Eat? The last month was really stressful and while I was working very hard to stay within my diet limitations, I also found myself stress-eating. I bought cookies at a store (four no-nos: gluten/grain, sugar, soy, and chocolate/caffeine) and ate the whole package in one sitting. It did NOT make me feel better. In fact, I ended up sick to my stomach as a result. Do you stress eat? Do you have any solutions to stop stress eating? I know the decision starts at the store -- If I don't buy it, I won't eat it -- but sometimes my will power fails me.
14. Speaking of Food. This is the week that I give up caffeine completely. No looking back, right? Just looking forward. I guess I'll go brew up a cup of rooibos tea to celebrate. P.S. I've now made it one full week without caffeine or sugar or a bunch of other things!
15. There's A Pineapple Growing! I looked out my back door the other day and found a tiny pineapple growing. I only hope that it grows quickly enough that I can enjoy it before I leave although I'm not feeling too optimistic about that.
16. A Just When I Needed It Verse. I have a verse a day in your email thing-a-ma-jig and I kid you not. Last Thursday I was feeling super discouraged and low about some things and struggling to find the perspective I needed to persevere. Then this appeared in my inbox. "Therefore, since we have been surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1
17. And Then the Next Day . . . this one appeared. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14.
18. Good Timing. I love how God knows exactly what I need to hear and when. I love how both of these verses also speak to my runner's heart in a way I truly understand.
19. Dictionary Exploration. Here's a word I found lately in the dictionary. Psocid: n a minute winged insect.
20. Comic Fun. This one made me laugh, a lot!
21. Audio Books. I've been listening to a few audio books lately and remembering how much I love them . . . depending on who the narrator/reader/performer is. Yesterday, I began Anne of Green Gables which is read by Rachel McAdams. Lots of fun.
22. Quoting Anne. From Anne of Green Gables (chapter five). "It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will. Of course, you must make it up firmly.
23. Speaking of Audio Books. Do you have a favorite?
24. Puzzle. This is the last one I've done, but it's about time to clear it away and start a new one. :)
25. Running. I had to take a four week break from running while I traveled. Now that I'm in Ukarumpa again it's time to get back into it. Although, my ability to run may also depend on the rain and mud as it's particularly wet lately.
26. Exciting News. This month I bought my tickets for my next visit to the U.S.! I arrive three months from today for a four month stay. Yay! :)
27. When You Make A Lot of Soup! Last week I made some bean and vegetable soup. It's delicious. Somehow my normal-sized batch of soup kept growing as I added the ingredients I wanted and lo and behold I ended up with more than 22 cups of soup! Thankfully, it is indeed delicious because it's not a good thing when you make that much and then eating it becomes painful because it tastes so poorly.
28. A Quote to Ponder. Phillip Keller (A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23) -- "For the man or woman who recognizes the claim of Christ and gives allegiance to His absolute ownership, there comes the question of bearing His mark. The mark of the cross is that which should identify us with Himself for all time. The question is -- does it?"
29. Latest Market Flower Find. My little hydrangea is withered up, perhaps from the over abundance of rain, and the little rose bush lost all its leaves and petals. :/ Black-thumb gardener am I. However, I am still trying. This is my latest purchase and it has survived almost seven or so weeks so far and looks hearty yet.
30. Thorns and Beauty. This plant has some wicked thorns. And some beautiful flowers. The two often go side by side. Thorns and beauty. That's a good topic to write about someday.
31. Procrastination. If I had completed this post when I started it, it would be half the length. If I had completed it the second time I worked on it, it would be 3/4 the length. Alas, I procrastinated and so here we are on thirty-one. :)
And that's all for this month. Happy miscellaneousness going into the month of August!
1. What is a Key Term? One of the things we do while checking translation drafts is to discuss key terms. Key terms in the New Testament range from names/titles (Christ, Pharisees), to places (synagogue, temple), to concepts (grace, love). They are vital to the understanding of the meaning of the text and often exceptionally hard to translate. Sometimes there is a finite difference between terms and sometimes the difference is quite large. Nevertheless, it is important that we understand the terms so we can understand how best to translate them.
2. A Brief Overview of 'Apostle'. In our discussions this month we had a long talk about the difference between a disciple, an apostle, a messenger, and a servant. So what is an apostle -- someone sent (to proclaim a message), usually someone who has had direct teaching from the sender, and someone given authority on behalf of the one that sent them.
3. Give Thanks. I'm thankful for: intercessory prayer, forgiveness, safety, abounding grace, and the confidence and boldness that can only come from God.
4. Beauty Splashes. Here are a couple from this month:
| Sunrise of New Ireland Province. I only wish I could have captured the real scope and beauty of this sunrise. |
| My beautiful hydrangea before it withered up and died. |
5. Favorite Books So Far This Month. Oh, I've read some really good ones this month! Fiction: Fading Starlight by Kathryn Cushman and the first two in Carolyn Miller's Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace (The Elusive Miss Ellison and The Captivating Lady Charlotte) top my list and they were both new-to-me authors so that's always fun. To add one more, I'm thoroughly enjoying Raptor 6 by Ronie Kendig although, I still have a couple of chapters left before I finish it. And perhaps one more, because I was so fascinated by how the story went the complete opposite direction I had expected, Bees in the Butterfly Garden by Maureen Lang. Classic: Pollyanna by E.H. Porter. Non-Fiction: The Big 10 Paleo Spiralizer Cookbook by Megan Flynn Peterson.
6. Most Favorite Book of the Month. Hands down best: The Lady and the Lionheart by Joanne Bischof! Since I didn't finish this post earlier in the month I had to add an addendum because as much as I liked the other books, I love this one!
7. Speaking of Books. I got a few in the mail this month that I was super excited about.
8. Mission Accomplished. One of my goals fro 2017 was to purchase a new refrigerator. I've been saying for three years that I need to, but it hasn't been a priority since the 20+ year old one I have has still been mostly working. Thanks to a good friend's help, this month I bought a new fridge! It's going to be delivered to my house this week so expect pictures in the future.
9. The Words Are Jumbled. During long days of translation work, my head often becomes a jumble of words. You see, I work in four languages (English, Tok Pisin, Tigak, and Greek) during the course of one day. While I love languages when we get to the end of the day, they all tend to meld together and my head swirls with incomprehensible words and phrases all mixed up.
10. Transition Again. When I began this post, I was in Kavieng for three weeks. As I finish it, I'm back in Ukarumpa for ten weeks. Then I'll go to Kokopo for four weeks. My life is full of transition.
11. Some Trials that Come With Transition. The type of transitory life I lead is not exactly the norm so I thought I'd briefly list some of the trials:
- constantly emptying out the fridge for another absence and then restocking it
- keeping up with people in multiple communities
- trying to have consistent fellowship
- lack of/interrupted structure and routine
12. I Got a New Phone! It's very exciting to have a working phone again after four plus months. My old one started having trouble at the beginning of April and died completely in May. Here's the picture I set as the lock screen -- from my vacation in Australia in January:
| Along the Great Ocean Road |
13. Do You Stress Eat? The last month was really stressful and while I was working very hard to stay within my diet limitations, I also found myself stress-eating. I bought cookies at a store (four no-nos: gluten/grain, sugar, soy, and chocolate/caffeine) and ate the whole package in one sitting. It did NOT make me feel better. In fact, I ended up sick to my stomach as a result. Do you stress eat? Do you have any solutions to stop stress eating? I know the decision starts at the store -- If I don't buy it, I won't eat it -- but sometimes my will power fails me.
14. Speaking of Food. This is the week that I give up caffeine completely. No looking back, right? Just looking forward. I guess I'll go brew up a cup of rooibos tea to celebrate. P.S. I've now made it one full week without caffeine or sugar or a bunch of other things!
15. There's A Pineapple Growing! I looked out my back door the other day and found a tiny pineapple growing. I only hope that it grows quickly enough that I can enjoy it before I leave although I'm not feeling too optimistic about that.
16. A Just When I Needed It Verse. I have a verse a day in your email thing-a-ma-jig and I kid you not. Last Thursday I was feeling super discouraged and low about some things and struggling to find the perspective I needed to persevere. Then this appeared in my inbox. "Therefore, since we have been surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1
17. And Then the Next Day . . . this one appeared. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14.
18. Good Timing. I love how God knows exactly what I need to hear and when. I love how both of these verses also speak to my runner's heart in a way I truly understand.
19. Dictionary Exploration. Here's a word I found lately in the dictionary. Psocid: n a minute winged insect.
20. Comic Fun. This one made me laugh, a lot!
21. Audio Books. I've been listening to a few audio books lately and remembering how much I love them . . . depending on who the narrator/reader/performer is. Yesterday, I began Anne of Green Gables which is read by Rachel McAdams. Lots of fun.
22. Quoting Anne. From Anne of Green Gables (chapter five). "It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will. Of course, you must make it up firmly.
23. Speaking of Audio Books. Do you have a favorite?
24. Puzzle. This is the last one I've done, but it's about time to clear it away and start a new one. :)
25. Running. I had to take a four week break from running while I traveled. Now that I'm in Ukarumpa again it's time to get back into it. Although, my ability to run may also depend on the rain and mud as it's particularly wet lately.
26. Exciting News. This month I bought my tickets for my next visit to the U.S.! I arrive three months from today for a four month stay. Yay! :)
27. When You Make A Lot of Soup! Last week I made some bean and vegetable soup. It's delicious. Somehow my normal-sized batch of soup kept growing as I added the ingredients I wanted and lo and behold I ended up with more than 22 cups of soup! Thankfully, it is indeed delicious because it's not a good thing when you make that much and then eating it becomes painful because it tastes so poorly.
28. A Quote to Ponder. Phillip Keller (A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23) -- "For the man or woman who recognizes the claim of Christ and gives allegiance to His absolute ownership, there comes the question of bearing His mark. The mark of the cross is that which should identify us with Himself for all time. The question is -- does it?"
29. Latest Market Flower Find. My little hydrangea is withered up, perhaps from the over abundance of rain, and the little rose bush lost all its leaves and petals. :/ Black-thumb gardener am I. However, I am still trying. This is my latest purchase and it has survived almost seven or so weeks so far and looks hearty yet.
| I'm not sure what the name of this is |
30. Thorns and Beauty. This plant has some wicked thorns. And some beautiful flowers. The two often go side by side. Thorns and beauty. That's a good topic to write about someday.
31. Procrastination. If I had completed this post when I started it, it would be half the length. If I had completed it the second time I worked on it, it would be 3/4 the length. Alas, I procrastinated and so here we are on thirty-one. :)
And that's all for this month. Happy miscellaneousness going into the month of August!
Comments
Post a Comment