whose approval?
Galatians 1:10
Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
So many times God has brought me back to the truth and questions of this verse. What is my motivation? Who am I trying to please? What is my purpose?
God and God alone is worthy of praise.
The first time this verse convicted me was when I was in high school. Sitting under a huge, tropical tree, I read that verse and had to ask myself, "Who am I trying to please?" It's not always an easy question, you have to dig down and search for your motivation and intentions. Sometimes we think we're doing something for God's glory, but when we're honest our underlying motivation may be different.
Who am I serving, who am I trying to please?
Throughout the years I have needed to keep asking myself that question again and again. It is a gut-check, making me analyze whose opinion is most important to me.
1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
God doesn't look at the same things people do. In the same way, God sees your heart, even when others do not -- He sees the good and the bad. God's opinion is the most important. God's approval is the one we ought to seek first and foremost.
2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.
* When the challenges of life come -- ask "Am I now trying to win the approval of men or of God?"
* When people doubt or question you -- ask "Am I now trying to win the approval of men or of God?"
* When we are confident and self-assured -- ask "Am I now trying to win the approval of men or of God?"
God sees us as we are and He loves us with an everlasting love. He desires us to follow Him, to serve Him, to praise Him, and to honor Him with our lives. As we seek to do that each day, we work to receive His approval each day and not man's. So let us stop worrying so much about what others think and focus on the One opinion that truly matters.
Comments
Post a Comment