when your portion is small
We're not all called to great things all the time. Sometimes our portion in life is very small. Perhaps it feels like we have little to give, little to offer.
I'm learning that it's not about the size of what I can do for God, it's about being willing to do what's before me, no matter how big . . . or how small.
It may seem that the bigger tasks are in a way easier. We find value in visible completion, in tackling the impossible, in recognizing the large goals accomplished; but what about the small tasks? What about the small goals? Are they any less important? Is a small offering any less valuable?
When we have much and choose to only give little, when we deliberately do not give as much, or do as much as we feel called to do, then I think perhaps the answer is yes. However, when we have little and yet are asked to give it away; sometimes the small offerings can feel huge.
When our portion is small, we are not exempt from giving from that portion. We do not have an excuse to say, "I have nothing to give." Perhaps what we have to give is not as much as we would like. Perhaps it hurts to give it; it's a sacrifice.
These principles apply to both our finances and our time and energy.
Not all the seasons of our lives are equal. One season may be that of abundance, while another is that of famine. Through each season, we are called to give sacrificially and generously . . . with joy.
Can I share something with you? I don't always feel joyful in my giving; especially lately. In the past several years, I have struggled with chronic illness and I have found myself in a season of famine. I don't have a lot of energy, to the point that going through everyday tasks has become a real challenge. I don't feel that I have much to offer in my service to God and to others.
At times, I have been frustrated, ashamed, and even guilty about what I have to offer because I'm comparing it with what others can give, or with what I myself have been able to give in the past.
However, and this is a big however, God is teaching me that it's not about the size of what I have to offer, but that I offer. It's not about how much money or energy I am able to give, it's about my willingness to give.
Am I willing to offer up what I have?
Am I willing to give sacrificially?
Am I willing to be joyful in the giving?
Perhaps our portion is small. Perhaps we are experiencing a famine in our finances or in our health. May we yet be joyful givers of what we have. May we yet imitate the widow who gave all that she had. May we not compare ourselves to others or to another season of life, but recognizing where we are, be joyful in what we have and what we can do.
When our portion is small, may we yet be generous.
I'm learning that it's not about the size of what I can do for God, it's about being willing to do what's before me, no matter how big . . . or how small.
It may seem that the bigger tasks are in a way easier. We find value in visible completion, in tackling the impossible, in recognizing the large goals accomplished; but what about the small tasks? What about the small goals? Are they any less important? Is a small offering any less valuable?
When we have much and choose to only give little, when we deliberately do not give as much, or do as much as we feel called to do, then I think perhaps the answer is yes. However, when we have little and yet are asked to give it away; sometimes the small offerings can feel huge.
Mark 12:41-44
Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.
Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything -- all she had to live on."
When our portion is small, we are not exempt from giving from that portion. We do not have an excuse to say, "I have nothing to give." Perhaps what we have to give is not as much as we would like. Perhaps it hurts to give it; it's a sacrifice.
These principles apply to both our finances and our time and energy.
2 Corinthians 8:12
For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have.
Not all the seasons of our lives are equal. One season may be that of abundance, while another is that of famine. Through each season, we are called to give sacrificially and generously . . . with joy.
Can I share something with you? I don't always feel joyful in my giving; especially lately. In the past several years, I have struggled with chronic illness and I have found myself in a season of famine. I don't have a lot of energy, to the point that going through everyday tasks has become a real challenge. I don't feel that I have much to offer in my service to God and to others.
At times, I have been frustrated, ashamed, and even guilty about what I have to offer because I'm comparing it with what others can give, or with what I myself have been able to give in the past.
However, and this is a big however, God is teaching me that it's not about the size of what I have to offer, but that I offer. It's not about how much money or energy I am able to give, it's about my willingness to give.
Am I willing to offer up what I have?
Am I willing to give sacrificially?
Am I willing to be joyful in the giving?
Perhaps our portion is small. Perhaps we are experiencing a famine in our finances or in our health. May we yet be joyful givers of what we have. May we yet imitate the widow who gave all that she had. May we not compare ourselves to others or to another season of life, but recognizing where we are, be joyful in what we have and what we can do.
When our portion is small, may we yet be generous.
I love this, Suzie! So true. Thanks for sharing��
ReplyDelete