with every hello
With every hello . . . comes a goodbye.
My life is full of hellos. It's also full of goodbyes. I can't say that I enjoy either one. They're painful, each in their own way.
Hellos mean starting over with someone new. Explaining your history. Learning what to say or not say. Sometimes, hellos welcome in a relationship that flows with ease. Other times there is a long stretch of awkward before you may or may not reach that comfort level.
Goodbyes mean letting go. They're painful, excruciating even. And yet they keep on coming.
With every hello comes the realization that there is a goodbye looming. It may come in a few hours, a few days, a few months, or a few years, but it is coming. It may come over and over again in the case of family and friends that stick throughout the years.
With every hello there is a whole set of emotions.
They come one after another throughout our lives. In the life of missionary transition, they come more frequently than for most. Our lives become a revolving door until we're so busy saying hello and goodbye that sometimes we're unsure if we are coming or going ourselves.
With every hello you wonder if you have it in you to meet another person. I found myself standing in front of the bulletin board of arrivals in our little mission community in PNG, debating whether I should sign up to host a newcomer for a meal or not. "Do I have it in me emotionally to say another hello right now?" And then, God brought to mind how He used the last hello in such a powerful way and I made the move to open that door.
With every hello comes another goodbye. I was driving to my next meeting with one of my prayer partners partway through a week full of appointments, lunches, coffee-dates, meals, staying at different homes, and speaking in churches. My heart was numb and ripped to shreds at the same time. I had said hello and then goodbye to so many friends and new acquaintances in such a short amount of time that I didn't know if I had it in me to focus on one more relationship. And then, God brought to mind how He had used the last conversation to encourage both me and the person I was speaking with and I prayed that He would open my heart one more time.
With every hello comes another opportunity. With every hello, comes another decision. Will we open that door to a possible friendship?
It isn't always easy saying hello. For some people, it's harder than for others. It is worth it.
I've moved more times than I can count. I've said goodbye to friends for what I thought was the last time and then ended up living near them again on the other side of the world. I've had friends who have stayed with me through many of those moves, writing me letters in each new place. I've said a lot of hellos and I've said a lot of goodbyes.
They never get easier. You may get numb to them in some sense, but it never gets easier to know that you'll miss birthday parties, graduations, weddings, births, celebrations, funerals, accidents, illnesses, and so much more.
With every hello comes a goodbye. My life is full of both. My life is richer for having them.
I've learned the value in each hello. I've learned to not take the goodbyes lightly. I've learned that with each hello and goodbye, God is constant. I've learned that He provides comfort when my heart feels shredded from transition. I've learned that my life is richer for each person that has been a part of it.
With every hello comes a goodbye, but oh how I am thankful for each of those people who make saying goodbye harder because they make my heart overflow.
With every hello.
My life is full of hellos. It's also full of goodbyes. I can't say that I enjoy either one. They're painful, each in their own way.
Hellos mean starting over with someone new. Explaining your history. Learning what to say or not say. Sometimes, hellos welcome in a relationship that flows with ease. Other times there is a long stretch of awkward before you may or may not reach that comfort level.
Goodbyes mean letting go. They're painful, excruciating even. And yet they keep on coming.
| July 2015 -- with my youngest niece. |
With every hello comes the realization that there is a goodbye looming. It may come in a few hours, a few days, a few months, or a few years, but it is coming. It may come over and over again in the case of family and friends that stick throughout the years.
With every hello there is a whole set of emotions.
They come one after another throughout our lives. In the life of missionary transition, they come more frequently than for most. Our lives become a revolving door until we're so busy saying hello and goodbye that sometimes we're unsure if we are coming or going ourselves.
With every hello you wonder if you have it in you to meet another person. I found myself standing in front of the bulletin board of arrivals in our little mission community in PNG, debating whether I should sign up to host a newcomer for a meal or not. "Do I have it in me emotionally to say another hello right now?" And then, God brought to mind how He used the last hello in such a powerful way and I made the move to open that door.
With every hello comes another goodbye. I was driving to my next meeting with one of my prayer partners partway through a week full of appointments, lunches, coffee-dates, meals, staying at different homes, and speaking in churches. My heart was numb and ripped to shreds at the same time. I had said hello and then goodbye to so many friends and new acquaintances in such a short amount of time that I didn't know if I had it in me to focus on one more relationship. And then, God brought to mind how He had used the last conversation to encourage both me and the person I was speaking with and I prayed that He would open my heart one more time.
With every hello comes another opportunity. With every hello, comes another decision. Will we open that door to a possible friendship?
It isn't always easy saying hello. For some people, it's harder than for others. It is worth it.
I've moved more times than I can count. I've said goodbye to friends for what I thought was the last time and then ended up living near them again on the other side of the world. I've had friends who have stayed with me through many of those moves, writing me letters in each new place. I've said a lot of hellos and I've said a lot of goodbyes.
They never get easier. You may get numb to them in some sense, but it never gets easier to know that you'll miss birthday parties, graduations, weddings, births, celebrations, funerals, accidents, illnesses, and so much more.
With every hello comes a goodbye. My life is full of both. My life is richer for having them.
I've learned the value in each hello. I've learned to not take the goodbyes lightly. I've learned that with each hello and goodbye, God is constant. I've learned that He provides comfort when my heart feels shredded from transition. I've learned that my life is richer for each person that has been a part of it.
With every hello comes a goodbye, but oh how I am thankful for each of those people who make saying goodbye harder because they make my heart overflow.
With every hello.
Beautifully written post Susie! Love you.
ReplyDelete