is it just me?
I thought it was about time to write a "These are a few things I've noticed about returning to my first-world/passport country" post. However, that title is much too long.
How about these:
* "What makes you feel crazy?"
* "Is it just me?"
* "Just give me a minute!"
Another month of blogging silence gone by . . . for an explanation I refer you back to the list of titles. Transition is a process.
I grew up with drastic transition being normal in my life so you would think I would be used to this. In a way, I am. Truthfully, my reverse culture shock has been very minimal. Or perhaps I should say it has been stealthy. It sneaks around and shows its ugly head at inopportune moments.
If you don't hear from me it might be because I've curled up in a hole and am hiding. Just saying.
So how about that list?
1. Air Conditioning. People keep remarking about how hot it is in Texas right now, but I have to do a double take before I think they're serious. Air conditioning and fans are such a luxury that I haven't felt hot because I'm not dripping sweat into the mattress while I'm lying perfectly still trying to go to sleep.
2. Don't Rush Me! If it's looking at a menu, perusing a grocery store, or trying to re-read the instructions on how to swipe my card to buy gas, I'm moving drastically slower than the world around me. It takes time to re-adjust to the pace of life in a first-world country. In addition to that, a lot has changed, there are more options of how to do things (swipe, tap, pay-by-phone), and I've gotten out of the habit of a lot of these things.
3. Constant Access. The other day the battery on my phone died and I didn't notice for at least 24 hours. Take a minute and re-read that sentence. For a large percentage of this country, such an action is unheard of -- phones are a 24/7 presence. I forget to carry mine with me, I forget to charge it, I forget that I can pick it up and call someone and not have to calculate 16 or 17 time zones depending on whether it's Daylight Savings Time or not.
4. Beautiful Moments. Don't mind me while I try to worship with tears streaming down my face. This morning I stood in my home church of more than four years (that's a record in my lifetime), surrounded by people I know and love, weeping. The beautiful fellowship, the teaching, the worship -- I miss it so much when I'm gone. It's moments like these that I carry with me as a balm for my heart on the loneliest, most culturally challenging, spiritually dark days. And may I encourage you to not take what you have for granted?
5. Remind Me Of Your Name Again? For the visiting missionary, it would be extremely helpful if everyone wore name tags. It is so hard to keep track of names and faces and places. Don't get me wrong, I want to remember, but when I'm gone for years at a time it's hard. So please pardon me if I ask you more than once. This goes both ways. To many, I am the stranger now because I am so rarely in the U.S. That was magnified when the customs agent referred to me as a visitor when I entered the country. I'm a visitor in my home country.
Meanwhile, I am thoroughly enjoying being "home" even if I feel the need to disappear every now and then from overwhelmedness (that should be a word).
How about these:
* "What makes you feel crazy?"
* "Is it just me?"
* "Just give me a minute!"
Another month of blogging silence gone by . . . for an explanation I refer you back to the list of titles. Transition is a process.
I grew up with drastic transition being normal in my life so you would think I would be used to this. In a way, I am. Truthfully, my reverse culture shock has been very minimal. Or perhaps I should say it has been stealthy. It sneaks around and shows its ugly head at inopportune moments.
If you don't hear from me it might be because I've curled up in a hole and am hiding. Just saying.
So how about that list?
1. Air Conditioning. People keep remarking about how hot it is in Texas right now, but I have to do a double take before I think they're serious. Air conditioning and fans are such a luxury that I haven't felt hot because I'm not dripping sweat into the mattress while I'm lying perfectly still trying to go to sleep.
2. Don't Rush Me! If it's looking at a menu, perusing a grocery store, or trying to re-read the instructions on how to swipe my card to buy gas, I'm moving drastically slower than the world around me. It takes time to re-adjust to the pace of life in a first-world country. In addition to that, a lot has changed, there are more options of how to do things (swipe, tap, pay-by-phone), and I've gotten out of the habit of a lot of these things.
3. Constant Access. The other day the battery on my phone died and I didn't notice for at least 24 hours. Take a minute and re-read that sentence. For a large percentage of this country, such an action is unheard of -- phones are a 24/7 presence. I forget to carry mine with me, I forget to charge it, I forget that I can pick it up and call someone and not have to calculate 16 or 17 time zones depending on whether it's Daylight Savings Time or not.
4. Beautiful Moments. Don't mind me while I try to worship with tears streaming down my face. This morning I stood in my home church of more than four years (that's a record in my lifetime), surrounded by people I know and love, weeping. The beautiful fellowship, the teaching, the worship -- I miss it so much when I'm gone. It's moments like these that I carry with me as a balm for my heart on the loneliest, most culturally challenging, spiritually dark days. And may I encourage you to not take what you have for granted?
5. Remind Me Of Your Name Again? For the visiting missionary, it would be extremely helpful if everyone wore name tags. It is so hard to keep track of names and faces and places. Don't get me wrong, I want to remember, but when I'm gone for years at a time it's hard. So please pardon me if I ask you more than once. This goes both ways. To many, I am the stranger now because I am so rarely in the U.S. That was magnified when the customs agent referred to me as a visitor when I entered the country. I'm a visitor in my home country.
Meanwhile, I am thoroughly enjoying being "home" even if I feel the need to disappear every now and then from overwhelmedness (that should be a word).
Comments
Post a Comment