19 for 19

For the nineteenth day of the month, here are nineteen non-related items for May's monthly miscellaneous post! :)

1.  New Recipe.  I tried out a new donut recipe a couple of weeks ago.  Aside from the yeast not working like it was supposed to, they were delicious!

Yum!

2.  Healthy Eating.  A few days ago, I went to a morning lecture/demonstration about healthy eating and cooking.  It's an interesting challenge to try to tackle in a remote area, so part of the lesson was on using the resources that are available.  I got a couple of good tips that maybe I can start implementing soon, although it might mean less treats like donuts. :)

3.  Sorting Abram/Abraham.  The course I am currently helping with covers a lot of different subjects, one of which is Bible background. One of the exercises we did today was to sort the events of Abram/Abraham's life into order. 

These guys from Central province are the ones I have been working with this month.

4.  Music, Music.  One of the high school students had a senior recital this past weekend.  What fun to hear such great talent.

5.  Splash of Beauty.  Here are a couple of fun flowers!  Don't you love the colors? 

One of my new favorites!

Petals capturing the raindrops.

6. A Bit of Keats.  I do love poetry.  Here are a couple of lines from Keats' Fancy:
Thou shalt, at one glance behold
The daisy and the marigold; 
White-plumed lilies, and the first
Hedge-grown primrose that hath burst; 
Shaded hyacinth, alway
Sapphire queen of mid-May; 
And every leaf, and every flower
Pearled with the self-same shower.

7.  Monster in the Kitchen.  Meanwhile, there is an ongoing monster in my kitchen called dishes.  Blegh, I don't like scrubbing dishes because it never ever ends . . . like most housework.

8.  Map Puzzles.  Another activity that the participants of the course I'm helping with did today was to put together a puzzle map of the land given to the twelve tribes in the Old Testament.

Adding a piece to the puzzle.

9.  Thankful.  I am thankful for the color green, applesauce, emails from family, and books on sale.

10.  Basketball.  It's the NBA playoffs and at this point all of the teams I was cheering for have lost, go figure.  Now, I'm stuck trying to figure out which of the four remaining teams I like most/dislike least.

11.  Rummikub Anyone?  I was at a thrift store in the nearby town and saw these Rummikub tiles being used as bag tokens (you have to "check" your bags at the door).  It made me smile.

Token?

12.  Answered Prayer.  In order to get to or from the nearby town, some friends and I often take a PMV (public motor vehicle), which may entail any vehicle size or shape.  There is no real pattern of when one might show up and often there is a crowd of people, which ensures a mad rush to the door and no guarantee you'll fit.  By the time it is time to leave town, I'm usually exhausted because we carry our purchases around with us and every store is packed!  Last week, I ventured off with two friends and by the time we were ready to head home my energy was completely sapped.  As we were walking to the PMV stop, I was praying that there would miraculously be an empty PMV waiting, even though I have personally never seen that happen . . . ever.  We got there and found a wonderful answer, an open bed MACK type truck waiting and mostly empty.  Amazing!  We piled in, applied sunscreen, and were off. 

With Crystal and Elizabeth before leaving town.

13.  Habakkuk 2:4b ". . . but the righteous will live by his faith---"

14.  Notes on #13.  I'm reading through the prophets and lately read the book of Habakkuk.  One thing that has stood out time and time again is the obedience shown.  This verse is a great example of an important part of obedience, that it permeates your life.  To live by your faith, you are trusting and then obeying, repeatedly.

15.  Along the Walk.  I'll be honest when I say that I do not really enjoy the walk to and from the training center every day for the training course.  It's not really that far and it's quite level comparatively, but it often wears me out and thus makes me grumpy.  To combat those feelings I have started taking my camera with me and trying to find fun things along the way.  Here are a couple of pictures from the walk. 

What beautiful spots!

This is very similar to the picture above, but I like the way this shows the expanse of flowers.

Vines along the fence.

16.  Sports Day.  This coming weekend is sports day at the secondary school here.  I'm looking forward to going and cheering on the red team. :) 

17.  Tea with Friends.  Earlier this month, the women's ministry group had an afternoon tea.  We were all to come with our favorite meri blaus (local traditional top).  It was fun to fellowship with others, from numerous different cultures, and hear about how traditions differ across the cultures. 

With Kathryn at the tea.

18.  Reading list.  I've been enjoying new books by some of my favorite authors lately.  Erynn Mangum's Paige Turned, Dee Henderson's Undetected, and Jolina Petersheim's The Midwife.  In addition, my sister recommended Katherine Reay's Dear Mr. Knightley, which was on sale this week and which I am really looking forward to reading.

19.  A Rose that Bloomed.  There are numerous rose bushes around my house.  In the ten months I have lived here, I have only seen two flowers bloom.  Not sure if there is something wrong with them, but I enjoyed the two I have seen so far. :)

In front of the house.


Comments