Glimpses of Wyoming, Summer '12
I love the beauty and diversity of Wyoming.
In June, I took a day to drive through some of my favorite parts of Wyoming. Here's a map of Wyoming so you can see where things are that I mention. From Sheridan I drove through the Big Horn Mountains to Shell and then Greybull. From there, I drove through Worland, Thermopolis, Shoshoni and over to Casper. From Casper, I went to Wheatland and then cut across to Laramie.
These pictures are the highlights of that day, but they barely begin to scratch the surface of both what I saw and what there is to see.
Big Horn Mountains
The Big Horns have been some of my favorite mountains since I was a child, and that's saying something from someone who loves mountains. : )
Shell Canyon
On the edge of the Big Horn Mountains is Shell Canyon. Shell, Wyoming is a tiny little town near the edge of this Canyon.
Greybull
This is my Dad's hometown. My grandparents and great grandparents are buried in Greybull. When my Grandma Connie was still alive, in the early 1990s, we would go visit her and spend time there. It's been a long time since I have been there and some things have changed, but a lot of things haven't. The city will always be special in my heart.
Hot Springs State Park
Located in Thermopolis, WY, this State Park boasts that they have the largest mineral hot spring in the world. I have driven past this park many, many times, but I'm not sure when the last time (if ever) I stopped to look around.
Wind River Canyon
The river cuts through the mountains beautifully. This railroad is the one that my Great Grandfather Andrew Pederson had a route on many years ago. Once you go through a couple of tunnels you come out of the canyon and immediately see the Boysen Reservoir before coming to the town of Shoshoni.
Sunset ~ Sybille Canyon
The road that cuts from Wheatland to Laramie, Highway 34, makes its way through Sybille Canyon.
I do love my home state!
| Sheridan |
In June, I took a day to drive through some of my favorite parts of Wyoming. Here's a map of Wyoming so you can see where things are that I mention. From Sheridan I drove through the Big Horn Mountains to Shell and then Greybull. From there, I drove through Worland, Thermopolis, Shoshoni and over to Casper. From Casper, I went to Wheatland and then cut across to Laramie.
These pictures are the highlights of that day, but they barely begin to scratch the surface of both what I saw and what there is to see.
Big Horn Mountains
The Big Horns have been some of my favorite mountains since I was a child, and that's saying something from someone who loves mountains. : )
| a meadow on the side of the road to picnic in |
| Along Highway 14 |
Shell Canyon
On the edge of the Big Horn Mountains is Shell Canyon. Shell, Wyoming is a tiny little town near the edge of this Canyon.
| Shell Falls |
Greybull
This is my Dad's hometown. My grandparents and great grandparents are buried in Greybull. When my Grandma Connie was still alive, in the early 1990s, we would go visit her and spend time there. It's been a long time since I have been there and some things have changed, but a lot of things haven't. The city will always be special in my heart.
| This is the marker for my grandparents, Robert and Constance. |
| This is the marker for my great grandparents, Andrew and Irene. |
Hot Springs State Park
Located in Thermopolis, WY, this State Park boasts that they have the largest mineral hot spring in the world. I have driven past this park many, many times, but I'm not sure when the last time (if ever) I stopped to look around.
| The run off from the mineral hot springs. |
| These colors are so beautiful! |
Wind River Canyon
The river cuts through the mountains beautifully. This railroad is the one that my Great Grandfather Andrew Pederson had a route on many years ago. Once you go through a couple of tunnels you come out of the canyon and immediately see the Boysen Reservoir before coming to the town of Shoshoni.
Sunset ~ Sybille Canyon
The road that cuts from Wheatland to Laramie, Highway 34, makes its way through Sybille Canyon.
I do love my home state!
In my head, I was litterally going 'ooh... ahh... ohh that one's nice' :-D For some reason, I especially love the one of the snag and the blue flowers in the Big Horn Mountains. I'm not sure if I've ever been to Wyoming - if I have it was many, many years ago. Thanks for sharing some of the beauty (and your wonderful photographer skills!) with all of us. :-)
ReplyDelete~R