vaccinations and concerts
Last week I had an appointment at the health department to get the vaccinations I need to go to PNG. I had to have a travel consultation first and the consultant was shocked that:
1. I am moving to PNG (and my parents are okay with it)
2. My immunization history is a mile long
Of the three vaccines I needed, one wasn't available and a second one has an option of an oral vaccine (no contest there)! YAY for only having one needle . . . they are evil! The lady poked my arm almost before I was ready for it, which I guess worked out well since I didn't have as much time to freak out, but then the pain began to spread. The next four days were excruciating! Despite my mile long immunization history, I don't think I've ever had one hurt as bad!
There was not a comfortable position. Sitting, standing, lying down, ice packs, heating pads, pain reliever, etc . . . nothing helped! I couldn't sleep because it hurt too much. Three and a half days after the shot, feeling more pain than the days prior and completely miserable, we prayed that the pain would abate. What an answer to prayer that from that point on the pain became more manageable. Now, more than a week after the vaccination, the bruise on my arm is still vivid, but the pain is minimal. I am so thankful.
The hours and hours of immense pain opened my eyes in a new way to what people with chronic pain suffer. I hope that I never take for granted my health again and that I am constantly reminded to pray for those who suffer and are in pain.
On a happier note, this evening I went to one of the Wednesday night Concert-In-The-Parks by the Municipal band. This is one of my favorite things about summertime in Laramie . . . okay, one of a long list. Spending the past couple weeks here has made me more proud than ever to call myself a Wyomingite. Anyway, I was listening to the music and remembering how one year ago I was in the middle of my second to last class at GIAL, working, sleeping sometimes, and Mom used to call me when the concert started so I could listen along while hundreds of miles away. How fun to be here this summer and listen in person.
Memories From Concert-In-The-Park
* rain every single Wednesday!
* the wind chasing a plastic bag back and forth and back and forth in circles while people chased after it
* my grandma tying on her plastic bandana to prevent the wind and rain and then saying, "It sure is windy, good thing I have my head tied on!"
* seeing people I know
* beautiful dogs out walking their pets, I mean owners. : )
Miscellaneous
* I'm going through my cookbooks to find recipes I want to take to PNG and my Mom and I are having fun trying some of them out. We made dhal, an Indian lentil dish, a couple times and it's yummy! : )
* One of my other projects is to read a box of books that were leftovers after I packed up my apartment. Some I wanted to read before storing and some I hadn't read before. I'm making good progress and am about to start one that someone gave me last month: Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James. I've never read PD James, but have heard good things.
1. I am moving to PNG (and my parents are okay with it)
2. My immunization history is a mile long
Of the three vaccines I needed, one wasn't available and a second one has an option of an oral vaccine (no contest there)! YAY for only having one needle . . . they are evil! The lady poked my arm almost before I was ready for it, which I guess worked out well since I didn't have as much time to freak out, but then the pain began to spread. The next four days were excruciating! Despite my mile long immunization history, I don't think I've ever had one hurt as bad!
There was not a comfortable position. Sitting, standing, lying down, ice packs, heating pads, pain reliever, etc . . . nothing helped! I couldn't sleep because it hurt too much. Three and a half days after the shot, feeling more pain than the days prior and completely miserable, we prayed that the pain would abate. What an answer to prayer that from that point on the pain became more manageable. Now, more than a week after the vaccination, the bruise on my arm is still vivid, but the pain is minimal. I am so thankful.
The hours and hours of immense pain opened my eyes in a new way to what people with chronic pain suffer. I hope that I never take for granted my health again and that I am constantly reminded to pray for those who suffer and are in pain.
On a happier note, this evening I went to one of the Wednesday night Concert-In-The-Parks by the Municipal band. This is one of my favorite things about summertime in Laramie . . . okay, one of a long list. Spending the past couple weeks here has made me more proud than ever to call myself a Wyomingite. Anyway, I was listening to the music and remembering how one year ago I was in the middle of my second to last class at GIAL, working, sleeping sometimes, and Mom used to call me when the concert started so I could listen along while hundreds of miles away. How fun to be here this summer and listen in person.
Memories From Concert-In-The-Park
* rain every single Wednesday!
* the wind chasing a plastic bag back and forth and back and forth in circles while people chased after it
* my grandma tying on her plastic bandana to prevent the wind and rain and then saying, "It sure is windy, good thing I have my head tied on!"
* seeing people I know
* beautiful dogs out walking their pets, I mean owners. : )
Miscellaneous
* I'm going through my cookbooks to find recipes I want to take to PNG and my Mom and I are having fun trying some of them out. We made dhal, an Indian lentil dish, a couple times and it's yummy! : )
* One of my other projects is to read a box of books that were leftovers after I packed up my apartment. Some I wanted to read before storing and some I hadn't read before. I'm making good progress and am about to start one that someone gave me last month: Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James. I've never read PD James, but have heard good things.
Ah, Susie, you make me laugh and brighten my day :-) Sorry that your shot hurt so much! You are right, though, when I get my migraines I suddenly have SO much more respect for people who suffer chronic pain of any sort.
ReplyDeleteThat is good that you can enjoy summer in Wyoming and trying out new recipes, though. :-)
~R
Dogs walking their owners. That is so true. Not that Mulligan ever does this. ;-)
DeleteI'm so glad you're enjoying Laramie, but I'm sorry about that shot! I hate it when nurses tell me that shots don't hurt as bad if you "rub it in." Who wants to rub an enormous bruise? Medical professionals aren't tied to the same reality as the rest of us.
Can you share your Indian Lentil recipe? We love lentils!
ReplyDelete