1996 revisited
one thousand
nine hundred
ninety-six
miles
That was my weekend. I counted as I drove . . . well, I used the odometer. It would have been extremely tedious to count each mile for that kind of distance; although the last two hundred miles yesterday evening sure felt tedious anyway. Here's what I stared at for many hours . . . (it says 693 miles in case you can't see)
Favorite city name: What Cheer, Iowa
Memorial Day weekend meant no class and no work on Monday. I decided that was reason enough to take a long road trip, especially since it meant I could go to a friend's wedding and visit some of my family.
Cheapest gas seen: $3.43 in St. Louis, Missouri (too bad I didn't need any)
Speaking of 1996, that was the year ('95-'96) that I lived next door to Julie in West Chicago. We used to ride the bus to elementary school together. This weekend I attended her wedding. : ) Friendships are a precious thing.
Longest train crossing: in Eufaula, Oklahoma - about 10+ minutes long . . .
Other miscellaneous things . . .
Most cops seen in one day of driving: 25+ before reaching Texas (May, 30). I said before reaching Texas, because at that point I lost track of them. I saw the first two accidents of the day, really of the trip, and there were oodles of cops and fire trucks and ambulances, etc.
Best verbal directions: take Leaf River to Mud Creek to Nine Curve Road. (back roads in Illinois . . . and yes, there were nine curves on Nine Curve Road!) Thanks to my brother-in-law for this one!
Favorite life plan schemed: we're going to kayak in the icebergs
Percent of State license plates seen: 68% I saw 34 states. Dad and Mom also saw a lot of them on their trip and if you combine the ones we separately saw I think we are only missing two states. I was missing: Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia.
New record for eating 1/4 pound of fudge: less than five minutes (it was starting to melt). There was a stop on the exit to Branson, MO that was advertising fudge and candy, etc. It looked pretty good, so I thought I would try some. It wasn't too bad, not nearly as good as fudge from Gatlinburg or Fredericksburg, but not bad. I don't recommend eating so much at once though . . . sugar overload!!! : /
Here's me back in reality . . . the semester is almost over!
nine hundred
ninety-six
miles
That was my weekend. I counted as I drove . . . well, I used the odometer. It would have been extremely tedious to count each mile for that kind of distance; although the last two hundred miles yesterday evening sure felt tedious anyway. Here's what I stared at for many hours . . . (it says 693 miles in case you can't see)
Favorite city name: What Cheer, Iowa
Memorial Day weekend meant no class and no work on Monday. I decided that was reason enough to take a long road trip, especially since it meant I could go to a friend's wedding and visit some of my family.
Cheapest gas seen: $3.43 in St. Louis, Missouri (too bad I didn't need any)
Speaking of 1996, that was the year ('95-'96) that I lived next door to Julie in West Chicago. We used to ride the bus to elementary school together. This weekend I attended her wedding. : ) Friendships are a precious thing.
Longest train crossing: in Eufaula, Oklahoma - about 10+ minutes long . . .
Other miscellaneous things . . .
Most cops seen in one day of driving: 25+ before reaching Texas (May, 30). I said before reaching Texas, because at that point I lost track of them. I saw the first two accidents of the day, really of the trip, and there were oodles of cops and fire trucks and ambulances, etc.
Best verbal directions: take Leaf River to Mud Creek to Nine Curve Road. (back roads in Illinois . . . and yes, there were nine curves on Nine Curve Road!) Thanks to my brother-in-law for this one!
Favorite life plan schemed: we're going to kayak in the icebergs
Percent of State license plates seen: 68% I saw 34 states. Dad and Mom also saw a lot of them on their trip and if you combine the ones we separately saw I think we are only missing two states. I was missing: Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia.
New record for eating 1/4 pound of fudge: less than five minutes (it was starting to melt). There was a stop on the exit to Branson, MO that was advertising fudge and candy, etc. It looked pretty good, so I thought I would try some. It wasn't too bad, not nearly as good as fudge from Gatlinburg or Fredericksburg, but not bad. I don't recommend eating so much at once though . . . sugar overload!!! : /
Here's me back in reality . . . the semester is almost over!
Comments
Post a Comment