wire ribbon
I was sitting here on my floor---because the bed is covered with folded laundry that has yet to find a home---trying to describe how I am feeling at the moment and I was coming up blank. (for a mental image of my hand motion along with that word think You've Got Mail: "my mind goes blank . . . even now, days later I have no idea what I should have said . . ." ---my obsession with this movie is quite apparent at times like this)
Then I looked over and saw a piece of ribbon that I kept from something . . . I don't remember what it is from, which means I should probably get rid of it (pack-rat tendencies are hard to overcome!). This specific piece of ribbon has been around for a couple years and it is the type that has thin wire edging so you can twist and tie it and the ribbon will keep it's shape.
But the thing about this wire is that it doesn't forget the shapes you make. Sure, you can 'straighten' it out again, but the wire has gained some new character---molded instead to the form of how it was positioned.
We, as humans, are like this wire!
No matter how many times we say things like 'in one ear and out the other,' the truth is we are affected by our surroundings and by our circumstances. Their shape never leaves us . . . instead the memory of that shape impacts the future shape of our 'wire.'
We are being molded.
Our lives are never the same as they were before, because new 'shapes' have bent and formed us into new creatures. On that same thought---how cool is it that God's imprint never leaves us?
I don't want a crisp, new wire. I want a wire that reflects God's promises and faithfulness!
Then I looked over and saw a piece of ribbon that I kept from something . . . I don't remember what it is from, which means I should probably get rid of it (pack-rat tendencies are hard to overcome!). This specific piece of ribbon has been around for a couple years and it is the type that has thin wire edging so you can twist and tie it and the ribbon will keep it's shape.
But the thing about this wire is that it doesn't forget the shapes you make. Sure, you can 'straighten' it out again, but the wire has gained some new character---molded instead to the form of how it was positioned.
We, as humans, are like this wire!
No matter how many times we say things like 'in one ear and out the other,' the truth is we are affected by our surroundings and by our circumstances. Their shape never leaves us . . . instead the memory of that shape impacts the future shape of our 'wire.'
We are being molded.
Our lives are never the same as they were before, because new 'shapes' have bent and formed us into new creatures. On that same thought---how cool is it that God's imprint never leaves us?
I don't want a crisp, new wire. I want a wire that reflects God's promises and faithfulness!
Comments
Post a Comment