People

People.

Yesterday (Thursday) I ran in race with more than 37,000 people! Okay, so some were walking and some were running, but there were that many people there participating! People running with friends; people running alone. People running to win; people just running. I met a man who has run this race for 21 years. I saw a mother pushing an approximately 3 month old baby while running. I was passed by people more than 40 years older than me. I ran with strangers; I saw people I had met on the train.

This was the second year I ran the Turkey Trot. I love it! There is something about waking up early on a holiday, racing to the train station because you couldn't figure out which street to turn on and where to park, frantically pushing buttons to get your ticket and making it there 20 seconds before the train pulls up only to have standing room only with 12 more stops to make and many more people to squeeze in... something exhilerating.

It's fun to find yourself in a crush of people waiting to start, to cross the line and realize this is what you have been training for. (well... training is a somewhat liberal word in my case...) It's fun to run past a water station and have people cheer for you. It's fun to have someone come up beside you and tell you you're doing a good job. It's fun to see people out on their porches and street corners to watch you run by.

After I finished I stood near the finish line and watched others cross. I saw people racing it out, others grinning for the camera; some struggling after that last hill, others just having a great time with friends. I saw families together. I saw people alone.

People. We are so different. We are so alike.

Comments